Now Australia shames the UK!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Recce19, Apr 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm truly :censored: outraged that every other country can do this except us :pissedoff:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asia-pacific/7338317.stm

2. And, you'll notice, this is the country on which our new Points-Based immigration system is based.

Shame we're not basing a few other things on them as well: honour, duty, obligation and moral imperative spring to mind.

3. just an idea, how about if the MOD could somehow promise the Iraqis who worked for the british contingent jobs in the UK? would that help them or force the gov a bit to help them over?
    is there a posibility of letting them join the military officially perhaps?

4. i love our goberment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. Unless, the Home Secretary exercises his discretion, that will not work. The Iraqis will never be able to get a work permit because they do not possess the necessary skills to qualify for one (and rightly so).

Again, I am not sure why the Home Secretary is so unwilling to exercise his discretion. Perhaps he is afraid that will pave the way for hordes of Iraqis to claim asylum in the UK. As well, he could be afraid that allowing them in will be an admission that Basra is in no way under control. Just a guess but that would explain the government's reluctance to act swiftly or to debate the issue publicly.

6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I think you'll find a lack of integrity and honour at the heart of this Governments reluctance.

7. I thought that this mess of dis-loyalty to Terps by HMG had been sorted now? Or have I been snorting too much granulated coffee?

8. Scabster_Mooch - I think that you will find that the current Home Secretary is a she, not a he. She is the appallingly out of her depth Jacqui Smith. As such, she fits in perfectly with the rest of the clowns in the government.

9. Oops. I've not been keeping up with the news as much as I would have liked to.

I wish she put in as much effort in this issue as she did re the Civil Partnership Act 2004. She was a vocal proponent of that bill and she argued the case well.

10. Integrity and honour isn't that big a deal here normally but on this occasion well done Kev.

11. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

12. now thats a filthy trick to play to make them want to go home.
    insidious that is.

13. I'm not outraged at all. I've worked for a few foreign governments in my time helping on various big MoD projects.....I don't feel as though they owe me anything.

A job is a job, you accept the terms, get paid and crack on.

14. When people left the French Foreign Legion they were given their passports back, and not given residency. I don't understand what all the fuss is about? Why should they be given automatic residency for their work with us? I appreciate that they do a good job, and are a valuable resource, but they know the score.