Novels about a Para Reg Officer

Discussion in 'The Book Club' started by Abner Brown, May 21, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Somebody on this site must know the answer..

Years ago I read a couple of novels about the exploits of a young Parachute Regiment officer who got into some serious trouble. I was discussing these books with a mate who also read them. Neither of us can remember the name of the author or title of the books and I'd like to read them again. The usual internet searches have come up blank.
    What I remember:
    The author had served with 5 Airborne and may originally have been an officer in a Scottish regiment.
    The main character was called Max, he was an officer in a Para Patrol Company. His Pl Sgt was known as 'Sweeny Todd'. The first novel started in a fictional Middle Eastern country.
    I could add more details, but I don't want to spoil the plot for anybody who might read them in the future. Any, or all of the above might be completely confused and inaccurate :)
    Both books are very grim, and portray the military hierarchy and security services with a degree of cynicism that suggests a certain familiarity with both.
    If anybody knows the titles of the novels, or who wrote them, I'd be very grateful. I was only twenty when I read them (and might now consider them crap) but I remember being quite impressed.