Novel use for Harriers

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by velcrostripes, Dec 20, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hire them out as mobile de -icers .

1 flight at Heathrow and 1 at Gatwick .

2 aircraft hover 70 feet above the parked aircraft to de ice them ,
    two hover up and down the runways and taxiways clearing snow.

Ditto the motorway and rail network .

Would it work ?

PS Any senior RAF people .This was my idea , not yours , so if there is an MBE handed out for this brilliant idea i will gratefully accept it .
  2. Surely it would be cheaper to hire illegals with a broom
  3. I think cost has stopped being the issue , plus it would be a good argument to save a few . Great PR for the crabs too .
  4. Would it work?

The Harriers blow the snow 50ft behind them, great. As they move forward, they keep blowing snow 50ft behind them. When they get to the end of the runway there's a 50ft clear space behind them.

A big problem is the airliners are stuck to the tarmac. What are the Harriers going to use - Mavericks?
  5. they can always drop a bit of napalm on the blackbits and have the fire engines standing by in case the passanger plane goes up
  6. Is the government allowed to employ illegals?
  7. Is the aim of the Harriers to blow the snow or melt it?
  8. The pilots are so skilled they could easily use the wing edges to scrape the ice off a 747's windscreen. I read that in De-Icer's Quarterly review*

*This is complete bllx.
  9. Hot exhaust gas would melt the snow. Well , thats my theory , anyway.
    Anyone got any better ideas ?
  10. Depends if you can talk your way out of it....

And you actually wrote the law that you break!?!?!?!?!
  11. Plenty of doleys with nothing to do. A couple of bass brooms and some shovels and we're away. Warm water should unstick aircraft wheels, and then the doleys mop up th ewater.
  12. msr

msr LE

13. Ravers

Ravers LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Personally I think it would be a great tragedy if flights and general driving wasn't disrupted at this special time of year. There are few things that fill me with seasonal cheer as much as watching a load of chavs crying on the news, because they have become stranded at Luton Airport and their holiday to Tenerife has been ruined.

Likewise the warm and happy feeling I get when my neighbour gets his Porsche 911 completely stuck in the snow, pretty much makes my Christmas.

I believe the Germans have a word for this line of thought, it's called 'being ein ****.'
  14. Ahh,

The joys of turning the cars electric block heater on before going out... and of course the winter tyres. And of course the joys of having a fully stocked house so we don't have to :D

(seriously, we're double decked here).

Bet the airport dwellers aren't so gobby about 'spending Christmas in the sun' ha ha. Treat yourselves to cold, carp coffee and Burger King :D
  15. Crawley's brimming with them so Gatwick should be OK!