NOTW - Scandal of out abandoned war heroes

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by asr1, Oct 10, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Scandal of our abandoned war heroes | News Of The World

A story about "abandoned war heroes" in the NOTW today.

1st up a 31 year old former lieutenant who was a sniper in Bosnia, Iraq and Afghanistan.

So many holes in the story I suspect that the reporter was drinking the same booze as the "war hero".

Either the British Legion has some work to do, or the waltfinder general needs to spring into action. This reinforces my perception that many tramps pretend to have illustrious military histories to beg more effectively.

2. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Whether the blokes telling the truth or not,it is still a national disgrace that the care of our exservice people is so crap,FFS we must be the only country in the world where the serving injured are looked after by a Charity,H4H should not be needed if the government gave a shit about its wounded

3. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

The fact that almost all Journo's are lying cnuts is not the problem, I have been totally mis-quoted by the ******* a couple of times, but the system to look after our ex-service people is not fecking working, and it never has. Just wait untill you young blokes have to go cap in hand to the useless cnuts in the Veterans Agency, and be treated like some kind of retarded leper,then come back and tell me about it.

4. Left the Queen's Regt in 1995? Pretty sure it amalgamated in 1992.
    Army Lt having served 10 years and a Sniper. Does not fit I am afraid. In fact that whole story just does not add up.

Misquoting or sloppy journalism aside, there are huge holes. This is sad, because it detracts from the real ex service personnel struggling.

5. A bloke came to our SSAFA office earlier this year for help, he was one of the guys who'd been on that BBC programmed about homeless ex servicemen with Ken Hames, he'd been on the streets for about 15 years and was institutionalised to that way of living, I phoned Veterans Aid up in London and they said they'd helped him find digs a fair few times but he got bored and just upped and went on his travels, he tended to head towards Garrison towns where he felt safer so to speak.
    Sadly, this chap I believe, was happier living on the streets than being confined to one place with four walls.

6. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Entirely possible I suppose. He joined at 16 and is now 31 and left 3 years ago at 28. He may well have been recommended for a commission and did the Sandhurst thing which all soldiers would do if they were under 29. Max 3 years as a leutnant therefore spent 7-8 years as a tom during which time he did his sniper cadre? NOTW has focussed on two elements; his rank and sniper thing predictably the two most interesting things that will grab a reader's attention but not necessarily anything to do with the main issue.

7. jim24

jim24 Book Reviewer

Had exactly the same problem with a bloke in Cardiff, just could not "do" normal

8. 31 - 3 years = 28. (2007)
    Served since 16 = 12 years. (1995)

I am not trying to start a witch hunt here, so Forastero thanks for a reasoned argument against my point. It just does not sit that well with me.

Joined at 16 - fine that is very possible (16 & 3 as far as I know) (1995).
    Deploy on Ops at 18 (1997) (I'm fairly certain the boy soldier rules were in place by this stage precluding anyone deploying before their 18th birthday). D&D deployed to Bosnia in May 1995 to Oct 1995 so he is two years behind the rest of the battalion. - Could have gone as an individual reinforcement.
    8 years Service prior to commission. Commissioned at 25 years old. So in the factory at 24 (for arguments sake). (2003)
    DDLI Served Iraq TELIC 8 (2006) So possible if he commissioned into his own regiment. Anything after commissioning is difficult to assess as he may not have commissioned back into DDLI. Sniper given a series of targets - utter hollywood arse. Killing hundreds over his career? American Sniper dressed as a tree without a spotter (possible dressed as a bush) - crazy they maybe, but are actually very good at what they do. Dressing as a tree does not count as very good.

Both parents Colonels, 8 years service plus commissioning, DDLI now part of the Rifles Group. Aside from the dates and job description not really adding up (two different national snipers working the same AO - hell I know it gets confused but whole AO confused? I think not. Telic 1? Possibly as an individual reinforcement, but tough to say).

I am certain that Regimental Associations are in place for just this sort of thing. The reported background of the individual concerned does not lend itself to him ending up on the streets. I am not so naive as to think some people are above ending up on the streets, but I would suggest that there are those that are less likely to do so. Two Colonels pay plus pension would make for a fairly comfortable existence. Regiments that are now 1 or 2 battalions strong, therefore somebody with 8 years service would be relatively well known to the CoC or just his muckers.

Nope sorry, just doesn't sit well. The rest I would not wish to comment on, but that one and possibly the Queensman I would question the truth.

9. Rod924

Rod924 LE Reviewer

IMHO the more the media cover this, accurate or not, the more the public will realise that the Gov't is failing in its duty of care. Anyone who has ever served knows that this has gone on for decades. But with recent conflicts, the numbers abandoned by the system is a National disgrace.

10. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

In my next of the woods we litterally had a guy living in a hedgeback. He even had a job and the hedge was on the grounds of the estate where he worked. His employer contacted SSAFA but it took months to persuade him he would be better living somewhere warm in winter.

11. I hesitate to comment on his service but, anyone familiar with the plight of the single-homeless or observant of those who really sleep in doorways will know that the two photos were staged and badly staged at that.

12. @ jim24 and Forastero, purely out of interest: do your organisations try to keep track of these guys? That is, the ones that come onto the plot but then get lost to follow up? I appreciate that some elect not stay with the system (their choice, I guess) but a few years down the line, they are going to be the ones that will need active support.

13. @jim24: PM reply sent. Thanks.

14. Forastero

Forastero LE Moderator

Not paraphrasing your quote, just didn't want to quote the whole thing! Anyway, the one caveat I would give you is that this the News of the World and they will not chronicle every single movement of this particular chap in order to back up their story. If the story doesn't sit well with you I wager it's because of their shit reporting and attention to detail rather than the geezer spinning a dodgy dit. I wouldn't trust the NotW to get its facts right anymore than any other newspaper but bearing in mind it's after its own sensational scoop, I give this article all the attention it deserves - very little.