Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
I assume you are too young to have enjoyed the adventures and dodgy dealings of the ducker and diver, Mr Arfer Daley, and his sidekick terry McCann, other wise you would understand the joke.
nope I remember the Winchester Club.

DarkBrig

Old-Salt
nope I remember the Winchester Club.
Your clearly just looking for an argument, it is funny as Arfur used to sell dodgy stuff much like an alleged crown of thorns worn by JC himself. There are plenty of religious sites you can go on to discuss the validity of Jesus, a military forum is not one, i'll not be engaging further, enjoy your beliefs

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Your clearly just looking for an argument, it is funny as Arfur used to sell dodgy stuff much like an alleged crown of thorns worn by JC himself. There are plenty of religious sites you can go on to discuss the validity of Jesus, a military forum is not one, i'll not be engaging further, enjoy your beliefs
There were plenty of Arthur Daley types flogging dodgy relics.

There is no firm opinion either way for this item.

the fact that you believe that this is just about the validity of Jesus shows that you lack intellectual depth.

military website.
Paris fire brigade
Chaplain to said fire brigade.
Hallowed item.

Which is fine for a two car garage or a wee house,but something on the ND scale?
Probably within the ability of a skilled craftsman of the era to anticipate the movement of the timber as it seasons in place during the years or decades that it would have taken to put the roof on.

Plenty of spirally spires around that look intentional. Chesterfield's oddity is reckoned to be down to the lead, rather than green timber or poor woodworking skills.

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
Probably within the ability of a skilled craftsman of the era to anticipate the movement of the timber as it seasons in place during the years or decades that it would have taken to put the roof on.

Plenty of spirally spires around that look intentional. Chesterfield's oddity is reckoned to be down to the lead, rather than green timber or poor woodworking skills.
Iirc Chesterfield spire was twisting as it was built.

I used think it twisted in time but a 'spirite' put me right.

Iirc Chesterfield spire was twisting as it was built.
I'm not that old so I'll take your word for it.

When you think about it, it's just a matter of understanding the material you're working with and making the appropriate allowances. That's why there'll be difficulties in the refurbishment, modern tradesmen will be used to seasoned timber which doesn't need as much forethought and will be using tools that make it easier to work on harder materials.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

the fact that you believe that this is just about the validity of Jesus shows that you lack intellectual depth.

military website.
Paris fire brigade
Hallowed item.
The easiest thing in this world is to denigrate another man's beliefs; the hardest is to change them.

I note you are still with the first bit.

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
The easiest thing in this world is to denigrate another man's beliefs; the hardest is to change them.

I note you are still with the first bit.
Not at all. Just responding in kind.

I actually found the burning of the cathedral quite amusing... especially the amount of money pledged to help in the reconstruction, I can think of plenty of more important things to address with that finance

Tired_Tech

On ROPS
On ROPs
I actually found the burning of the cathedral quite amusing... especially the amount of money pledged to help in the reconstruction, I can think of plenty of more important things to address with that finance
plenty of folk could be and watered.

maybe people hope for salvation.

I still think a modern take on design using modern materials would be of more interest.

I assume you are too young to have enjoyed the adventures and dodgy dealings of the ducker and diver, Mr Arfer Daley, and his sidekick terry McCann, other wise you would understand the joke.
One of the finest characters with catchphrases and malaprops, ever created. Arthur would probably cause thousands of heart attacks these days but George Cole was a diamond.

I still think a modern take on design using modern materials would be of more interest.
I wouldn't disagree with you. I doubt that there are many people sufficiently skilled and experienced in large scale medieval working practices to make a good job of it. Even then, we dont know how many times Notre Dame had to be remedied during its history.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wouldn't disagree with you. I doubt that there are many people sufficiently skilled and experienced in large scale medieval working practices to make a good job of it. Even then, we dont know how many times Notre Dame had to be remedied during its history.
There is at least one project using just these skills and I don't doubt they would be able to find others, along with kids who would be willing to become apprentices - for all Macron says I doubt this will be back up in just five years and a lifetime of work would appear to be on hand for someone wanting to get involved.

introduction

Dave-the-rave

War Hero

military website.
Paris fire brigade
Hallowed item.
There's plenty of firm opinions. I myself have one.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Septics are left completely confused as Notre Dame is still there with no sign of fire

college-photo_154.jpg