Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

Beautiville in the Cherent ? There is a village out in the cuds just south of Cognac France, and at the time of the millennium when Blair had the plastic dome built, for their millennium the french inhabitants of Beautiiville set about restoring vital parts of their 8th century very small castle on the outskirts of the little village. It would take 20 years, so perhaps about completed now? They employed about four stone masons and some working apprentices, it was allowed for visitors to buy coffee and watch the work going on. It was mostly 'Hand chisel work' A big notice on site said: Restoration contributions: The State, 10 million Euros. The Department, 2 million Euros. The people of the Commune 2 Euros annually until completion. My figures may be wrong but it was something similar. It was in fact a job creation scheme but with an outcome that most agreed with. It is my ambition to go back and see it.
The craftsmen at Guedelon won't have to look for their next job. There was talk that once the castle is finished that they'd try an abbey, but the fire have solved any doubts as to either what or where.

Guédelon

BTW, Guedelon is a cracking visit, well worth a day out whether for adults or the ankle-biters.

Surprised they had time to wonder about renovators, all being on their holibobs. But as noted earlier in the thread, getting repairs done does seem to be a prelude to a disastrous fire.

'The Palace of Westminster could face a fire as devastating as the one that has ravaged Notre Dame unless major improvements are made to the crumbling building in central London, MPs have warned.

'Politicians have acknowledged that action is needed to safeguard the Houses of Parliament but have spent years wrangling over the best way to proceed and baulked at the billions of pounds required to restore the building.

'The "restoration and renewal" programme is not expected to start in earnest until the mid-2020s after MPs and peers voted in early 2018 to leave the historic building to allow the work to be carried out.'

Notre Dame fire sparks fears for UK parliament
But fires just don't happen anymore. As the government keeps insisting while slashing Fire Service budgets.

Firstly, entrance to Notre Dame has always been free. Secondly, should we not have to pay nearly £30 to go into Windsor Castle since the taxpayers paid for its restoration after the fire in 92?
One of them is a place of prayer.

Last edited:
How's this for an odd coincidence

The Al-Aqsa mosque in Jerusalem went up in flames at the the same time as Notre Dame

Jerusalem's Al-Aqsa Mosque burns at the same time as fire engulfs Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris
A reason why it hasn't received the column inches and air-time of Paris.

'Firefighters managed to bring the blaze under control before there was any damage to the prayer room. There were no injuries reported. According to reports, Sheikh Azzam al-Khatib, director general of the Jerusalem Waqf and Al-Aqsa Mosque Affairs Department, said the fire may have been started by a group of children who were in the area at the time.'

Firefighters put out blaze at revered Al-Aqsa Mosque at same time as Notre Dame fire

I wonder if any of those who own the restoration company have anything to do with development consortiums.

Pull the rest of it down , all round the world these old cathedrals consume millions in renovations , pull the rest of this one down and make a decent sized car park
And euthanase any 'Old Timer' because he/she's no longer productive and just consuming resources.

A reason why it hasn't received the column inches and air-time of Paris.

'Firefighters managed to bring the blaze under control before there was any damage to the prayer room. There were no injuries reported. According to reports, Sheikh Azzam al-Khatib, director general of the Jerusalem Waqf and Al-Aqsa Mosque Affairs Department, said the fire may have been started by a group of children who were in the area at the time.'

Firefighters put out blaze at revered Al-Aqsa Mosque at same time as Notre Dame fire
Holding post for Labour to blame the Jews....

The craftsmen at Guedelon won't have to look for their next job. There was talk that once the castle is finished that they'd try an abbey, but the fire have solved any doubts as to either what or where.

Guédelon

BTW, Guedelon is a cracking visit, well worth a day out whether for adults or the ankle-biters.
Thanks indeed for that!

One of them is a place of prayer.
So is Westminster Abbey, last time I looked (about ten years ago) it was £12 to get in, prayer or not.

Agree with all you've said there, but wonder if the French comments about a 9/11 moment aren't being mis-construe;, ie, that this is a totemic event and potential focal point for some French national unity.
It's a matter of context, certainly, but it would be like saying that an ND on a range that gave me a fright was my Dunblane moment - or when the plane was shaking due to turbulence, it was my Lockerbie moment.

There are certain similarities but it is an extreme stretch to make one the direct equivalent of the other.