Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

Some of the French correspondents and commentators are reporting this as their 9/11 event.

Let's examine that for a moment. So far (at time of posting), there have been zero casualties reported in this incident. An iconic building (an UN World Heritage listed site no less) has been burnt and may be in danger of demolition, if the damage is extensive enough. Shocking, yes. Terrible? Yes. But a tragedy? No. A disaster? Depends on your definition.

On the basis that the building is as recognisable as the twin towers were, then there may be a comparison.

But does it equate to a deliberate terrorist outrage resulting in the deaths of 2,996 people and 6,000+ more injured and the subsequent response that resulted in many more over an extended period of time, where the ripples are still being felt and the full repercussions yet to be realised? Catch yourself on.

So remember when one of our Gallic friends describes something as a catastrophe, disaster or tragedy, they have a relatively low threshold.

International? Wonder why that is?

Sounds like the Eu will be getting tapped up.

If UK contributed it should be in law that we have free entry to its successor.
Firstly, entrance to Notre Dame has always been free. Secondly, should we not have to pay nearly £30 to go into Windsor Castle since the taxpayers paid for its restoration after the fire in 92?

Call me a Cnut, but there’s something satisfying about seeing all those arrogant, chauvinistic, precious Parisian pricks so upset, mixed in with a reminder of how the power of religion and god was utterly useless when it came down to preventing a catastrophe, despite having created the world in a week
Maybe it’s retribution for something, take your pick

I can't be the only cynical **** wondering what all the ******* the drama is about. Yes its an old building thats burnt down but for fucks sake I don't need BBC presenters with wobbly bottom lips talking about their last romantic fuckweekend away to Paris

Je suis Notre Dame

Last edited:
It will be rebuilt. Parisians and every Frenchman would demand it.. The purists will call it a replica, but what matters is that the tourists don't care about it being a replica and will flock in and buy the merchandise. Have you been to Windsor Castle since the fire and restoration? It's taken years but it's still worth a visit.

The Notre Dame was a crumbling wreck of a building that was being held together by luck rather than engineering.

In truth this total disaster provides a perfect opportunity to rebuild it properly, so that it will still be around in another 100 years. The restoration they were doing was just fiddling and trying to keep it going.
So you're saying it was an insurance job ?
How very typical of the Frogs .

Call me a Cnut, but there’s something satisfying about seeing all those arrogant, chauvinistic, precious Parisian pricks so upset, mixed in with a reminder of how the power of religion and god was utterly useless when it came down to preventing a catastrophe, despite having created the world in a week
You have a very weird conception of religion if you think that God is about putting out fires in old buildings !

If it is to be rebuilt with international funding, will it be renamed Votre Dame?

And if (for example) Liechtenstein refuses to cough up, can we expect the French truck drivers and fishermen to go on strike and blockade Calais? It seems their usual modus operandi.

I don't understand why international aid should be considered. It's a French national treasure and tourist attraction bringing tourist dollars into France so it should be financed by the French. Alternatively, it's a branch of the Roman Catholic Church so it should be financed by the Vatican.
Finally, did they fail to keep up their insurance premiums?

The Queen opened Buck House to pay for Windsor Castle. Will Macron do something similar with his pied a terre?
Because the French are flat broke . And I mean , flat broke .

Lazy French builders in the seventeen hundreds using wood instead of stone and slate, yes it's a shame as it was a nice building. Nobody was killed so move on, nothing to see but frenchies.

OK, you're a cnut.
Happy now?