Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

If you believed in God, you might think He was punishing the Catholic church for something. I wonder what?

If it is to be rebuilt with international funding, will it be renamed Votre Dame?

And if (for example) Liechtenstein refuses to cough up, can we expect the French truck drivers and fishermen to go on strike and blockade Calais? It seems their usual modus operandi.

I don't understand why international aid should be considered. It's a French national treasure and tourist attraction bringing tourist dollars into France so it should be financed by the French. Alternatively, it's a branch of the Roman Catholic Church so it should be financed by the Vatican.
Finally, did they fail to keep up their insurance premiums?

The Queen opened Buck House to pay for Windsor Castle. Will Macron do something similar with his pied a terre?
Make Notre Dame Great Again. and the Pope will pay for it.

Seriously, if the Catholic Church won't pay to rebuild it, knock down what's left and build something useful in it's place. Like a brothel or a gym.

I swear religion is the best and biggest Long Con ever invented. Places of worship can get brassed up or burned down, and you'll still get billions of retards who believe it's somehow all part of their god's "plan". Praise the Lord and pass the loot!:rolleyes:

A great opportunity now to utilise the skills of all those recent migrants. Their innovative use of pallets, goat droppings, straw and corrugated iron, in some of their finest homeland architecture, should not be readily dismissed.

A great opportunity now to utilise the skills of all those recent migrants. Their innovative use of pallets, goat droppings, straw and corrugated iron, in some of their finest homeland architecture, should not be readily dismissed.
Corrugated iron roof? That's the sort of practical solution that's needed. Cheaper too and less fire-prone. Put solar panels on top too. Job done.

What news of Quasimodo?
He and Esmeralda are now homeless and living in social housing in Mantes (which is like Merthyr without the charm).

International? Wonder why that is?

Sounds like the Eu will be getting tapped up.

If UK contributed it should be in law that we have free entry to its successor.
But you do anyway, entry is free. You can pay something for a guided tour but there are (I should say were) good informational signs.

If it is arson by an 'unknown' group (Newsweek suggest recent spate of church arsons might be the work of feminists FFS), and the group is identified, I would expect a MAJOR sense of humour failure by the wider French public.
Well it will be a good excuse to deflect attention away from poor working practices and the parsimony of the Catholic church in not keeping the place maintained for the last 100 years.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Time for May to offer France a contribution towards rebuilding costs, with conditions attached. If nothing else it will put that grannyphile on the spot.
Fixed for you to reflect current negotiating conditions.

It will be rebuilt. Parisians and every Frenchman would demand it.. The purists will call it a replica, but what matters is that the tourists don't care about it being a replica and will flock in and buy the merchandise. Have you been to Windsor Castle since the fire and restoration? It's taken years but it's still worth a visit.

The Notre Dame was a crumbling wreck of a building that was being held together by luck rather than engineering.

In truth this total disaster provides a perfect opportunity to rebuild it properly, so that it will still be around in another 100 years. The restoration they were doing was just fiddling and trying to keep it going.

Last edited: