Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

I saw a fascinating animated documentary from Disney about the bloke who used to ring the bells At Notre Dame, I hope they saved the talking gargoyles.

If you applied that stupid logic, half the structures or anything else wouldn't exist around the world. You can say ho-hum to lot's of things in life. Oh yeah, you're dead. No worries, life will go - it does. But we all need to have some compassion and caring.

Like I said, you're in OZ after all.
What are you talking about? WTF has me being in Australia for most of the year got to do with anything?

It's one non sequitur after another.........get a grip man. Who should I feel "compassion" towards in this instance, given a building is non-sentient? Either you don't understand the definition of the words you write, or you're an utter fruit-loop.

Spend less time on here and more on finding gainful employment. Seriously, get a grip.

One of the problems, I think, could be wrong, is that the pressure you and force from air drops could be worse in terms of long term restoration of the building. That water/ retardant they could drop would make it worse in the longer term. Just the sheer pressure from the liquid etc could make an already delicate building collapse quicker. Plus, it's not like they have a few tankers standing by for a blaze which started a few hours ago.

And the area around Notre Dame is quite dense, so if you miss the target zone, you will do a lot of collateral damage.
I think your'e right a direct hit by a couple of tons of water may well have taken out the walls. It's a shame as unlike queuing for hours at the Louvre to see the Mona Lisa in the distance Notre Dame didn't disappoint.

A church is a church. It isn't the first to burn down and it won't be the last. At least this one seems to have been a case of accidental ignition, and so far I've not heard of anyone being killed in order to try and save the thing, which in my view would be the biggest waste of all.

People often forget that the only reason that the church existed at all in the modern day was that a guy called Victor Hugo wrote a book about it, with racist and sexist themes included therein that you won't find in any of the modern adaptations, and that this said book pricked the mercurial collective conscience of Les Grenouilles to an almost fetishistic extent.

Absent him it would have been a car park decades ago.

Looking at pictures of the damage and the walls still standing makes you recognize the genius of the architects who designed the arcs boutant 800-900 years ago. Apparently they are keeping the walls stable.

Some have commented on the lack of craftsmen who can perform the needed work. Long after the mediaeval era the Anglican cathedral in Washington, DC was built using old techniques to replicate a gothic cathedral. I understand that they trained apprentices to perform the work at the site. The building was built between 1907 and 1990 but was in use during that time with a temporary back wall that was moved back as the cathedral was built. I know the building was damaged by an earthquake several years ago and they were able to replicate the stonework, gargoyles etc that came crashing down.

Amazing building to visit, well worth a visit if you are in DC. It was the church where the funerals of Presidents Reagan and George H.W. Bush were held.

I do hope that the church in France can be repaired/replicated and not replaced with a brutalist concrete and steel structure.

If it is to be rebuilt with international funding, will it be renamed Votre Dame?

And if (for example) Liechtenstein refuses to cough up, can we expect the French truck drivers and fishermen to go on strike and blockade Calais? It seems their usual modus operandi.

I don't understand why international aid should be considered. It's a French national treasure and tourist attraction bringing tourist dollars into France so it should be financed by the French. Alternatively, it's a branch of the Roman Catholic Church so it should be financed by the Vatican.
Finally, did they fail to keep up their insurance premiums?

The Queen opened Buck House to pay for Windsor Castle. Will Macron do something similar with his pied a terre?

One of the problems, I think, could be wrong, is that the pressure you and force from air drops could be worse in terms of long term restoration of the building. That water/ retardant they could drop would make it worse in the longer term. Just the sheer pressure from the liquid etc could make an already delicate building collapse quicker. Plus, it's not like they have a few tankers standing by for a blaze which started a few hours ago.

And the area around Notre Dame is quite dense, so if you miss the target zone, you will do a lot of collateral damage.
Release the water higher up. More spread, not as accurate and less weight hitting it but a bit less effective.

Better than nothing though.

I was watching TV coverage and also thinking air drops might be helpful as none of the Parisian ladders and water towers could reach the fire. Being from the US I have seem air drops used on wildfires.

Problem could be convection from the heat of the fire making difficult to fly over.
Well, for a start, the Canadairs and Firecats are based at Nimes and would have taken at least three hours to get to Paris by which time it would have been almost dark, not recommended for low level flight over a city. The next problem is that dropping 6000 litres (Canadairs) and 1000 litres (Firecats) would cause structural damage and risk casualties on the ground. I'm not sure if there are facilities in the North of France for rapid refilling, their natural habitat is in the South where the risk of forest and scrub fire is the greatest.
I watched them practicing scoop and drop near St Cyr Sur Mer on Thursday, they are skilled and brave, not stupid.

As to cost of repair:
News in the US is saying that a French billionaire Francois Henri Pinault has pledged €100 million to repair the cathedral.
A bit more than I could contribute.

If it is to be rebuilt with international funding, will it be renamed Votre Dame?

And if (for example) Liechtenstein refuses to cough up, can we expect the French truck drivers and fishermen to go on strike and blockade Calais? It seems their usual modus operandi.

I don't understand why international aid should be considered. It's a French national treasure and tourist attraction bringing tourist dollars into France so it should be financed by the French. Alternatively, it's a branch of the Roman Catholic Church so it should be financed by the Vatican.
Finally, did they fail to keep up their insurance premiums?

The Queen opened Buck House to pay for Windsor Castle. Will Macron do something similar with his pied a terre?
I agree the French can cough up the money to rebuild it. Their monument their responsibility. It was a nice looking building, but life will go on.

Great oportunity for British artisans to work abroad, expect to see the documentary in the future, "Boys from the Stone Dust" has a ring to it.