Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

A view on Notre Dame possible cause

Comment is Free - unlike The Groan

Quasimodo: The bells, the bells.......

Esmeralda: Run like **** Quasimodo, It's the fire alarm!

Actually, I think its a tragedy and I hope they rebuild it faithfully, like most of the city centres of Eastern Europe. A lot of it was already 'Trigger's broom', but the spirit of the place endures. I'll go and look at the new one...... If I live that long.

Actually, I think its a tragedy and I hope they rebuild it faithfully, like most of the city centres of Eastern Europe.
Indeed. Just like all the picturesque medieval town centres in Belgium, Holland and Germany. Hard to believe that they're less than 75 years old. In the case of Belgium, medieval comes round twice every 50 years and it's overdue.

I'd be only partly facetious if I were to suggest retaining only the sturdiest walls and constructing a hologram of the remainder. It would be a brilliant educational opportunity to display historical architecture.

You can be a bit crass and unempathetic can you? Well, you are are in Aussie land.
Dry your eyes princess. Why would I feel empathy? I don't believe in God, and nor am I a Frenchman. The loss of a historic building is sad, but ho-hum. The place was derelict by the early 1800's and was, at that time, marked for demolition.

Firefighters used water pumped from the River Seine according to France24
Macron talks of the rebuilding being Frances destiny and wants international help. All this talk of destiny seems a bit political. Some locals have been evacuated.
They should ask America, they were so keen to fight the British as their allies during the war of independence it couldn't possibly go wrong. America would never turn their back on their allies.

I don't believe in God, and nor am I a Frenchman.
If you applied that stupid logic, half the structures or anything else wouldn't exist around the world. You can say ho-hum to lot's of things in life. Oh yeah, you're dead. No worries, life will go - it does. But we all need to have some compassion and caring.

Like I said, you're in OZ after all.

When that steeple came down, I thought the BBC was showing a repeat of when Fred Dibnah demolished a chimney with tyres, pit props and a fire.

Trump suggested that do it has to be bollocks.
Apart from actually probably being not so dumb.
SJWs the world over are imploding at the thought (not that they give a flying fuck about religion (less one that shall not be named)).
I was watching TV coverage and also thinking air drops might be helpful as none of the Parisian ladders and water towers could reach the fire. Being from the US I have seem air drops used on wildfires.

Problem could be convection from the heat of the fire making difficult to fly over.

I was watching TV coverage and also thinking air drops might be helpful as none of the Parisian ladders and water towers could reach the fire. Being from the US I have seem air drops used on wildfires.

Problem could be convection from the heat of the fire making difficult to fly over.
One of the problems, I think, could be wrong, is that the pressure you and force from air drops could be worse in terms of long term restoration of the building. That water/ retardant they could drop would make it worse in the longer term. Just the sheer pressure from the liquid etc could make an already delicate building collapse quicker. Plus, it's not like they have a few tankers standing by for a blaze which started a few hours ago.

And the area around Notre Dame is quite dense, so if you miss the target zone, you will do a lot of collateral damage.