Notre Dame Cathedral ablaze

Replacing timber and tiles isn't difficult, certainly not in comparison with sourcing, cutting and placing stone.

The stone Notre Dame is built from actually comes from underground Paris
The city is riddled with catacombes which were originally the underground quarries the limestone came from.

Those same catacombes have periodically been used to empty the graveyards of Paris into, huge quantities of skeletons are down there, mostly not in the neatly ossuaries that the tourists can see but large dumps of skulls and bones.
Over the centuries much remedial work has had to be done as large areas of Paris were sinking in to the quarries below

You can navigate much of Paris below ground in the catacombes, I did spend a weekend down there a few years ago and the network is vast.

Many years ago, I had to survey a fire-damaged church in Dulwich. The consensus was that if the fire brigade had let it burn, the damage would have been relatively minor.

Yes, it would have lost its roof and timbers (which it did anyway) but the brick and stonework wouldn't have suffered much - neither of them burns and bricks are fired in a kiln - but putting water on hot masonry causes rapid contraction and spalling.

It's just possible that the Paris FB, presumably not being hampered by a need to save life, have given a bit of thought to salvaging that which is largely irreplaceable rather than impressing the public with the speed that the flames can be doused. Replacing timber and tiles isn't difficult, certainly not in comparison with sourcing, cutting and placing stone.
I thought that even stone and mortar burnt if the temperatures are high enough. They certainly crack and splinter even without the addition of water.

One firefighter seriously injured.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
As a chartered building surveyor and engineer with post grad in architectural conservation I must disagree. From what I see Notre Dame is not fucked. My professional opinion is that Notre Dame is "totally fcuked".

An awful awful tragedy and some contractors will not be sleeping tonight.
Just think, had this happened in the UK the site would be a hole-in-the-ground for years. I wonder how long before Les Grenouiles get it back up and praying.

I thought that even stone and mortar burnt if the temperatures are high enough. They certainly crack and splinter even without the addition of water.
That depends on the stone, some is quite resilient, others such as some crystalline granates are not.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
It is 850 years old - not as if it was new or anything!

I'm looking on the bright side. At least BREXIT isnt all over the news and MSM:) . Every cloud and all that

That’s often the way, it can take hours or days for the fire to start.
This of course may be nothing to do with workmen etc, and could even be arson.
But on balance of probabilities it’s restoration hot work gone wrong (again).

Just think, had this happened in the UK the site would be a hole-in-the-ground for years. I wonder how long before Les Grenouiles get it back up and praying.
The Head of Heritage (Patrimoine) announced that an account for donations to the renovation will open tomorrow morning - TF1 about 15mins ago.