Notifications - what happened ?

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Since 15 Apr I've not received any notifications of replies on threads I'm watching or PMs received.
I confirmed I was still subscribed to these threads - & have watched a couple of others since - but have had no e-mails from the site.

I realise that there have been a number of problems with the site since the Great Arrse Movement and most have been fixed, but is it only a select few that are diffy these notifications or have many other people experienced this ?

Yup, me neither! :?

Cutaway said:
Since 15 Apr I've not received any notifications of replies on threads I'm watching or PMs received.
I think its because you're a cnut...... :D

Hopefully this is now fixed .....

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
minister_doh_nut said:
Cutaway said:
And as if by magic I have received my first e-mail from the site of a reply...

But the Fatboy is correct, I am a cnut.

oldbaldy

LE
minister_doh_nut said:
Cutaway said:
Takes one & all that :D :D

oldbaldy said:
minister_doh_nut said:
Cutaway said:
Takes one & all that :D :D
Nah, the pair of 'em were made for each other... :glomp:

Cutaway said:
I confirmed I was still subscribed to these threads - & have watched a couple of others since - but have had no e-mails from the site.

I realise that there have been a number of problems with the site since the Great Arrse Movement and most have been fixed, but is it only a select few that are diffy these notifications or have many other people experienced this ?
Dads, PMs still aren't shifting (i.e. I know they only go out of my "Outbox" when people have read them), and I haven't received anything abusive via PM for days now, which is highly unusual, but not an invitation for stalkers to send me photos of them.

The_Snail said:
Dads, PMs still aren't shifting (i.e. I know they only go out of my "Outbox" when people have read them), and I haven't received anything abusive via PM for days now, which is highly unusual, but not an invitation for stalkers to send me photos of them.
They weren't talking about the movement of PMs but about the site not sending out email notifications. People were still receiving PMs fine, but just not being told about them.

I assume then that this is a new error report. However I just tested it and mine seem to be fine. Can anyone else confirm that PMs are working?

oldbaldy

LE
My PMs are working OK.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Bugger !

It's like déjà vu all over again...

Help GCO !

Cutaway said:
Bugger !

It's like déjà vu all over again...

Help GCO !
I think I know why - we've had someone working on server security and I expect that this is related. I'll grab him now. Do you know when it started again?

Yes - a firewall issue and being sorted now. Thanks for letting me know so quickly.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Good CO said:
Yes - a firewall issue and being sorted now. Thanks for letting me know so quickly.
Cracking !

Further - and this is probably only going to complicate matters - there were one or two notifications coming in, though the majority of watched threads remaining silent about their new posts.

Any ideas ?

Yes, our server guru was working last night and had no choice but to do it on the live site. We are trying to stop the site slowing because of Denial of Service attacks which we have been getting from Russia / US / Eastern Europe over the past few days (and probably previously). This has meant that service has been broken while solutions were tried, and outgoing emails were a victim of this last night. Some would have gone and some were blocked while rules were modified. They *should* all go out fine now, although we still have work to do on the DOS evading code.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
nottyash ARRSE: Site Issues 2
M Army Reserve 21
abacus Army Reserve 5