Nothings New

Recently bought one of these new racing spoons.

Was mildly amused to see that there really are no real new ideas. Below is a Roman Legionary issue racing spoon. Pointed handle is for spearing meat.

Attachments

MrBane

LE
Kit Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Racing spoons. Quickest way to D&V ever invented. :)

I´ve got a racing spoon like the above, never had D&V myself. I keep it in a little ziplock bag when not in use and clean it.

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
chocolate_frog said:
I´ve got a racing spoon like the above, never had D&V myself. I keep it in a little ziplock bag when not in use and clean it.
There's your problem.
You're too old fashioned.

I had one of those spork things, it snapped within a week of being on a bit of string in my pocket.
I have heard that there is a titanium one, but I am yet to find somewhere that sells them. I'm currently sporting a rather nice wooden spoon on string, that I got in a pound shop ages ago, hasn't failed yet.

young_lofty said:
I had one of those spork things, it snapped within a week of being on a bit of string in my pocket.
I have heard that there is a titanium one, but I am yet to find somewhere that sells them. I'm currently sporting a rather nice wooden spoon on string, that I got in a pound shop ages ago, hasn't failed yet.
Mine snapped too, they are shite.

Contrarian said:
Genuine question: what would the perfect racing spoon be? Features, materials, etc? Cheers.
Wood or very hard plastic, deep wide bowl, long handle to get to the bottom of the bag easily. Think 'mini-ladle'.

A hole drilled into the top to attatch a cord to, long enough that you can still use it without untying it from your buttonhole.

Design classic.

Contrarian said:
Genuine question: what would the perfect racing spoon be? Features, materials, etc? Cheers.
I think it has to be a Welsh Love Spoon, here's a selection. I have the 'doubleheader'. The nunchuck variant comes in handy too though.

young_lofty said:
Black's sell them.

TRSL said:
Apprently the spoon that you get in the Yank MRE's is quite good, its long, plastic and headwearing apparently.
Ooh, that's clever, a spoon that comes in the rat box. Whatever will they think of next? Common sense; it'll never catch on in the back offices of DE&S.

Mongo

LE
Kit Reviewer
Dragstrip said:
TRSL said:
Apprently the spoon that you get in the Yank MRE's is quite good, its long, plastic and headwearing apparently.
Ooh, that's clever, a spoon that comes in the rat box. Whatever will they think of next? Common sense; it'll never catch on in the back offices of DE&S.
I dunno, on summer camp this year we were given a spoon to eat ze little yoghurts with; they didn't tell us we'd only get the one for the whole week..
We're getting there...

spaz said:
young_lofty said:
Yea same here now sporting one from Brecon junior ranks mess

spaz said:
young_lofty said:
Try this

bangalore said:
spaz said:
young_lofty said:
Try this
ooooooooooooo shiney

Wooden ones are a no no. That is why you go down with the sh1ts. Because they can´t be cleaned properly.

The ones from the Brecon Junior Ranks mess are good, but they are distinctive (ie Yellow). You can also find them in fetching light green (as used by Harrogate AA Col and by the cookhouse in Colchester circa 99).

The one above, I have had no drama with. I keep it in my pocket pen holder (cut the inner sewing away to make a bigger pocket). Only problem is you can´t upgrade to the "rocket spoon" (the correct title of a racing spoon with a ligher attached :D ).

Never actually seen the need to attach spoons to myself with string, or anything else bar a compass) just put them away whenn finished with, and only get them out when you need them. Compass is in a little external pocket on the front of my smock.

The MRE spoons are Ok, as is a metal issue spoon cut down.