Nothing to see here

Discussion in 'Hardware - PCs, Consoles, Gadgets' started by BuggerAll, Aug 26, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I'm having issues with my Sky Broadband crashing when I use the phone. I'm looking for technical advice on Sky users site but I can't load pictures directly from my 'puter so I'm going to post them here first paste the URL's across and then delete them - as I said nothing to see here.

modem 1.jpg

phone in 1.jpg

MODs: I'm done but I can't delete so please feel free to bin this thread.
  2. some terrible wiring going on there
  3. And next time take the face of the socket off when painting.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Your thumb is incredibly large, almost like an elephants foot.
  5. Porridge_gun

Porridge_gun LE Good Egg (charities)

Nice walls, did you plaster them with a thunderflash?
  6. Think he must have had Polish decorators in.
  7. Once you get an answer from Sky, try ringing the council to see if you can be rehomed as your present accomodation is howling.
  8. BuggerAll

It's a private hiring. Another success by DHE.
  9. Jesus H cross hanger,

Did DHE get you a hiring in a Turkish mining village?
  10. Please explain the exact nature of your problem as from the pictures supplied it looks as if a gorilla has tried to knit an electric blanket!! Some ideas for you to try:

1. Check to see if there is any crackling (background noise) on your telephone line when you life the receiver. If you hear crackling or silence then contact your phone provider.
    2.If it sounds fine you can still test it to see if it’s affecting your broadband:
    • Remove the face plate of your master socket to get access to the test socket.
    • Plug a microfilter directly into the master socket.
    • Connect your router to the microfilter.
    3. Check any telephone extension cords carefully for any damage, and make sure that all the telephone connections are firmly plugged in.Remember to make sure that ALL your telephone sockets are fitted with microfilters. If you have an old master socket with wires dangling out of it, this could very well slow down your connection. Getting it replaced is a good idea. Using a telephone extension cord longer than 10 metres between your telephone socket and your wireless router can also slow down your broadband connection, if the cord is not of high quality. Try using a shorter extension cable to see if that improves things. Remember to make sure that all your telephone sockets are fitted with microfilters. Without microfilters you could have problems with your broadband connection. Finally, check that the wires themselves have not been damaged - if the wire is broken or frayed, this will slow down or stop your connection.
    4. Any electrical appliance can affect Broadband speed. Try switching the appliance off when you're using the internet, or else move it away from your router. Other gadgets connected to your Broadband or your phone line can also slow your connection.

Hope this helps your quest.
  11. Ideal setup iirc is splitter into main socket, micro filter in top socket of splitter, telephone line from sky+ box into socket at bottom of splitter at work atm will post my setup pictures when I get home.

Also do you reset router/modem often trying to get better speeds? that is the worst thing you can do as it resets your IP profile at the exchange where the sky kit is at. Not sure if I've helped much but like emsav says put micro filters in all the phone sockets that you have a phone connected to.
  12. BuggerAll

I've put filters on both sockets and it's cleared the problem up. I thought they would only work as spliters. Live and learn.