Note 8 be upon us!

Well the Note 8 here and even when priced at an eye watering £800+ is selling faster than its predecessor

Here's how many Galaxy Note 8 preorders there have been so far | TechRadar

Over pimped if you ask but I'm a gadget lover myself but tend to have a love for my Note 4 still because I can use 3rd party higher capacity batteries from Mugen Power like the 6500mah but the 10000mah from ZeroLemon I eventually binned because it was kept draining so quickly (don't ask)

For something cost to benefit Note 4 is the way forward and it's nice and smart.

Anyone purchased one just for the gucci value and pre-ordered?

I thought about waiting for a Note 8, being very happy with my Note 4 until I mangled it.

In the end I got a cheapo £180 Chinese roughty toughty phone and I love it. It's waterproof (enough), sturdy and the battery lasts for ages.

I'd probably love a Note 8 and not use 99.99999999999999999999999999999999999999999% of it's capability.
Whereas with this cheapo, I'm only not using 80% of it's capability.

£800? Oh how cheap.
Having seen the specs of the iphone x, I am left wondering how and why.

I have an iphone 7+ 256gb and I doubt I will be upgrading. I need to try an X out first. But the hype seems a bit flat.

TamH70

MIA
You mean people are willing to give THAT much money to a company that sold them not so much smart phones as smart incendiary bombs the last time? And to think people call folks that like to buy Apple products sheep.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Huawei Y360. Free on a £5/month 2-year contract (that's £120 for the maths duffers). Does everything I want. I've never gone over my allowances.

The recent apple iphone prices are just crazy. Especially the new X. It's almost as much as my 13" Mac Book Pro from 2014....insane, if you think about it. I was thinking of ptentially getting a new iPhone since my Nexus 5 from 2013 is getting a bit old in the tooth (had an iPhone 6 for work)....but now I am not so sure....

TamH70

MIA
And you think it's just Samsung that got caught out?

iPhone 'explodes' in owner's hands - should you be worried?
Yeah, I was aware of those issues, but Samsung's took the biscuit. After all, it's a rare mobile phone that gets banned from flights because the airlines are terrified that it will catch fire in the hold and bring down the aircraft.

Samsung Galaxy Note 7 banned in airlines globally: Here’s the full list

US bans Samsung Galaxy Note 7 phones on flights

A2_Matelot

LE
Book Reviewer
Yeah, I was aware of those issues, but Samsung's took the biscuit. After all, it's a rare mobile phone that gets banned from flights because the airlines are terrified that it will catch fire in the hold and bring down the aircraft.
Indeed. I do recall that SAMSUNG took the step to initiate a recall and raise it's own flag of caution when units started to burn. I suspect a lot centres upon media and media handling, there is no doubt the issue within the batteries was serious but how the press respond and then social media is a massive factor. That awareness and the recall would have made the FAA measures prudent.

I didn't bother to follow the saga but it was a relatively low number (140?) reported in total but the potential for problems made it a sensible recall.

It's not just SAMSUNG hit by Li battery issues, DELL, HP all had FAA advisories and I still think there is ban on those cheap Segway things. Li batteries are a nightmare if not constructed properly.

TamH70

MIA
Indeed. I do recall that SAMSUNG took the step to initiate a recall and raise it's own flag of caution when units started to burn. I suspect a lot centres upon media and media handling, there is no doubt the issue within the batteries was serious but how the press respond and then social media is a massive factor. That awareness and the recall would have made the FAA measures prudent.

I didn't bother to follow the saga but it was a relatively low number (140?) reported in total but the potential for problems made it a sensible recall.

It's not just SAMSUNG hit by Li battery issues, DELL, HP all had FAA advisories and I still think there is ban on those cheap Segway things. Li batteries are a nightmare if not constructed properly.
Well, I was interested in the thing at the time, and there's a strong case that there was a bit more to the Samsung Note 7 screw up than just dodgy batteries, though they were a factor. It was more to do with the design of the phone itself, with Samsung going head long for the skinny phone crowd to the detriment of how the phone was actually built.

There's more on that in these two web articles from a site that wasn't too keen on trotting out the party line (read Mandelson and Campbell level of spin) that almost every other website was trotting out as part of the tale that Samsung was saying was the cause of the fires and so on.

Instrumental | Aggressive design caused Samsung Galaxy Note 7 battery explosions

Instrumental | Beyond the Teardown: How we think about failure analysis, Samsung…

Latest Threads