Notable Anti-Social Behavior Orders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Not_Whistlin_Dixie, Jan 1, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Under the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, police or local authorities may seek an Anti-Social Behaviour Order, or ASBO, against a citizen who is annoying or menacing others. The order is made by a judge and can last anywhere from two years up.

In recent years, the orders have blossomed in imagination and scope as British police, councils and local busybodies alike slowly realise what they have in their hands.

Super-crotchety Liverpool grandfather Alexander Muat, 87, was issued last year with an order commanding him not to be sarcastic to his neighbours.

A 16-year-old Manchester hoodlum, Nathan Wadley, was prohibited from publicly wearing a balaclava and single golf glove anywhere in Britain, while an even younger Manchester lad, Zachary Tutin, received an even odder ASBO requiring him not to say "grass" in public for five years.

Leroy Trought, publican of Bristol's Swan With Two Necks, received an ASBO instructing him to take down a sign on the car park of his hotel. The sign, which read "Porking Yard", was causing offence to local Muslims using the mosque next door.

The big thing about the ASBO, however, is not the garish range of uses to which it can be put.

It's this: breaching an ASBO is a criminal offence, even where the behaviour complained of is not actually against the law. A jail term of up to five years applies.

Trought, therefore, faces a prison term should he be careless enough to make any further pork references outside his pub.

It's an extraordinarily efficient system, first inventing a crime especially for you, then doing you the honour of catching you red-handed.

Any behaviour can be made into a criminal act, and ASBOs can be awarded on the basis of hearsay evidence, or in the absence of the person concerned.

With ASBO breach rates now running, the Home Office says, at 42 per cent, sizeable numbers of ASBO recipients do find themselves relaxing at Her Majesty's pleasure.

British jails are now so chronically overcrowded that serious thought has been given to the reintroduction of prison hulks along the Thames - decommissioned navy ships playing host to deckloads of petty felons.

"Tough on crime in the UK"
    By Annabel Crabb
    http://www.smh.com.au/news/opinion/tough-on-crime-no-old-refrain/2005/12/31/1135915722682.html

2. Would be interested to find out what goes on in the "Porking Yard."

Not a big fan of the ASBO myself, especially now the flithy chavs have taken it on as a badge of honour (and from some of the bizarre cases seen above, you can see why). I'm sure if coppers, DPP, Probation Service etc. were creative enough, these scrotes could be reined in and banged up under existing criminal statutes. Failing that, new legislation should be introduced whereby the wearing of Burberry, Elizabeth Duke jewellry and Helly Hanson (outside a 300yd perimeter of a jetty) should be punishable by exile to an antipodean penal colony. Being convicted of wearing trainers that cost more than the car you are driving should be punishable by death by firing squad.

Alternatively, how does 46th Bn, The King's Regiment sound to everyone?

Seriously, did we formally renounce any entitlement to the exercise of common sense when we signed the various European Treaties or something?

3. Think there is slight missing of point here.
    ASBO was never intended to solve anything related to crime. It was a cheap and quick action easy to introduce without too much unseemly discussion. Its benefit was that it allowed Billy Liar and his mates to say just how tough they were being on crime and how tough they were on the causes of crime.

4. And thanks to today's slashing of police arrest powers are next to unenforcable anyway now.

Trotsky

5. Looks like some are trying, but the courts/ do-gooders let down the community again and again :x

look at these two examples, it is enough to make you weep :x

asbo let off

asbo let off 2

Who sticks up for worthless scum like this? :x

6. Slashing of arrest powers? Lavrenti Beria would have liked the arrest powers that are being introduced for British police!! Of course, his powers of sentencing still make Bliar of the Yard jealous as no does the ammunition economy of the NKVD forces compared to bliar's seven-shooters...two prisoners, one bullet, one cartridge case, two corpses....no right of appeal.

7. It was always just about possible to arrest someone for littering in certain very limited circumstances, however more serious offences were automatically arrestable.

Now all offences have to be justifed against the difficult criteria that originally was used for minor crimes. The practical result may well be that it is impossible to arrest far more serious criminals. In addition powers of entry and search for people and evidence have been cut in many cases leaving gaping holes in police practice. I suspect that the hidden agenda is far more fixed penalty fines (caught shop lifting, never mind sign here, mind how you go) but yes, take it from me police powers have been considerbnaly weakened not increased.

Trotsky

8. [​IMG] People in the same proffesion as this prime example!

9. My car snowballed so I stopped and I asked them why?
    - they were 18 to 20 year olds.
    Shouts of F**k off it's only snow from them

Came home to find my house snowballed.

Neighbour and his wife heard it/saw it and went out
    when shouts of "break his F**king windows" were heard.

They and a passerby got verbal abuse and snow.
    Police rung
    "Sorry we're a bit busy, have an incident number"

I come home half hour later, get the news and the names of those involved.

Rang the police.
    "A unit has been dispatched"
    Oh and btw I said, my 12 year old son was indoors on his own whilst
    I was out shopping.
    We can identify the "lads" and 1 already has an asbo in force.
    Do him for breaking the order and you get a paper result
    "Right...." the control room said.

Nice little clear up result on a plate I thought,
    3 days later and no unit has arrived.
    Should I be suprised?

10. Not really, up until 31/12/2004 there would have been a power of arrest for breaking that asbo.

That has now gone

Now as you know who the guy is the police will probably have to apply for a summons and a court case (if any) will occur in about six months time.

See what I mean by a cut in police powers?

Trotsky

11. Thanks Trotsky for the clarification.

Create a new law/ method of control but give no thought to how it will work.
    A distinct lack of joined up thinking methinks.

12. There was an OAP who was recording and photographing parking offences and tax disks. Was seen as a nuisance by the local council and threatend with an ASBO. Can't find the story appreciated if dug up.

Make sure you take down your Christmas Lights....otherwise you'll be ASBO'ed. Watch out!

Tom Thumb