Not very sporting but illegal?

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by EX_STAB, Nov 26, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Having no meat to put on hte table I am about to head out in pursuit of something's flesh.

The options are rifl or shotgun. I have decided on the .22 rifle as rabbit is most likely and the ranges are more than 30 yards usually.

Now if I happen across a duck or pheasant and think: "Stuff it - it's dinner! To hell with the sporting ethos" what legislation would apply?

I reckon only a possible breach of the conditions on my FAC "vermin / fox / ground game"....

Thoughts?

2. Need to know basis bud

3. Longlenny

Longlenny War Hero Book Reviewer

Taking game without a licence? Trespass in search of game? Just two immediate thoughts. Was done for both of the 'offences' some years ago. The pheasent tasted well tho!

4. Where are you shooting? Private land, common ground, England Wales or Scotland?

I live on a sporting estate up in Scotch-land and if a phesant happens to wander onto my land, I can shoot it, if in season. Totally legitimate.

Since the estate has its own phesant rearing pens some 20 yards from the end of my garden, I eat a lot of phesant! ;)

Deer are a different matter. I would not be allowed to shoot if on my land, BUT, I could run it over with my Landy and my partner could pick it up and throw it in the back of her car :)

As for Ducks..no idea i am afraid.

5. All is fair when putting meat on the table :)

6. Water Foul - must be shot with toxic free (steel shot / Shotgun) if shot withing wetlands (theory is - if you miss, no poison left laying about)

7. Cow

Cow LE

Have a read of this, you use to need a licence to shoot game but don't anymore, you would of course need permission to be on the land and take the game. However where you stand with your FAC I don't know, a quick call from a with-held number to your Force Licencing Department may help but they may not know either and lie to you.

8. As duck or pheasant are in season no problems on that score. I'm in England so the "lead free shot for waterfowl" rule applies on any land even miles from any water.

Specifically hte point is: Is there anything to prevent shooting of game birds with a rifle? I reckon not.

9. Not strictly true, as the legislation is even more restrictive than this. In effect if you are in England and Wales you cannot use lead on a duck or goose ANYWHERE.

In Scotland you can still use lead on wildfowl over "dry" areas, such as stubbles etc.

All the gubbins here.

Edited to acknowledge STAB beat me to it - that's what happens when you have to attend to some real work halfway through writing a post!

HF

10. Cow

Cow LE

I can't find any restriction on shooting game with a rifle, the un-written rule being that you need to use a weapon which is up to the job. I've found some references to magazine capacity, in that you're not allowed to use a rifle with a capacity of more than 2 rounds however can't find any further information to back this up.

Speak to the BASC, they know everything there is to know!

11. This assumes you can hit a rabbit at 30 yds.

12. Plenty of roadkill round our way. You can`t get in trouble for that and saves on ammo.

13. You can shoot Game birds with a rifle, not sure about water fowl. We go around end of season knocking over the Cock birds with the Keeper. Just be carful of the 'poaching' side of things. You get a keen keeper, and he catches you, they don't like it. Why not introduce yourself to the shoot close to your ground do a bit of beating for him let the keeper know your worth, offer to shoot his foxs etc and good things will happen. Plus you get a brace of birds at the end of the day. I live off the stuff in the winter.

14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If you cull waterfowl including Canadas (out of season allowed under general license) it has to be with non toxic shot. Game licenses are no more in England and wales. Goose tastes fine taken with 6.5 allegedly!

15. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

I hope that wasn't allegedly knocked over with a jacketed soft-point - that's toxic that is! :D