Not Very Glorious Naval Action Again

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by maninblack, Apr 19, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. maninblack

maninblack LE Book Reviewer

I see the RN have been operating under their ridiculous rules of engagement again by letting a group of Somali pirates get away scot free.

Oddly enough the MOD are trumpeting this as something to be proud of.

Pirates

On a positive note they can tell the Commissars of New Labour that the right to a diverse lifestyle for Smoalians has been maintained.

2. Yes, because by detaining them on a British warship and thereby allowing them to claim asylum here would provoke less outrage.

Unfortunately, we can't just put them in the Lynx and drop them out at altitude a la Argentinian dissidents.

Incidentally, this was already flagged by Ouyin elsewhere and consensus was that at least the Andrew are getting into some action.

3. To be fair maninblack, it's all very well the RN capturing them, but Kenya refuses to take any more pirates for tribunal, the Seychelles takes only a limited number, and no one else seems keen. So what does one do?

4. maninblack

I think the traditional method was hanging.

5. Works for me.
    Unless serious action is taken the problem will never be dealt with.

6. Well until there is a improved 'international' perhaps combined effort to deal with this issue then the 'Pirate issue' will never end,

I'm sure the RN are just as frustrated as others due to 'legal implications' which restrict certain actions?

Add to note: target practice would'nt be the done thing in international waters!

7. They're pirates. Bolox to the international law makers. Just sink the fookers.

8. maninblack

They could herd them into the bow of their boat so they are safe then put a 30mm round through the engine and wave them goodbye.

They fancy themselves as men of the sea, let them commune with nature.

Alternatively, inform them they are to disarm, count to 10 then open fire when they refuse. All perfectly legal and it helps fish stock by providing additional food.

Everyone is a winner.

9. Is the "Altmark" still afloat ?(prison ship) worked OK during WW2 Also kept in cold climate No Smells!!!!!!!!

10. There's already a thread on this subject at www.arrse.co.uk/Forums/viewtopic/t=147941.html but, for the benefit of those who deal in realities, the RN's mandate was satisfied on this occasion although the perpetrators escaped after being foiled in their crime. I imagine the CO and ship's company of HMS Chatham and other warships involved in Operation ATALANTA feel just as frustrated as the rest of us but, unlike all the bloodthirsty armchair warriors, they are bound by the requirement to use 'reasonable force' and the other legal complexities involved:

House of Lords European Union Committee - Twelfth Report - Combating Somali Piracy: the EU's Naval Operation Atalanta
    In this case, HMS Chatham secured the safe release of innocent crewmen and their vessel without any bloodshed. I'm sure that any practical suggestions for stopping a highly manoeuvrable fast-moving boat on the high seas, short of opening fire or incurring possible loss of life by other means, would be welcome.

11. [​IMG]

13. Somewhere in a Royal Navy stores depot will be the MK I plank, pirates for the walking of. Just need to pop it in DHL and get it fettled up on, presumably the poop deck. If indeed that is the appropriate deck for plank ops.

Then some burly bosun's mate called, oh, "Mr Frobisher" has a ring to it, will be instructed to make them walk the plank...

14. maninblack

And when you have finished with the politically correct regulations that got us into a situation where piracy is regarded as a route to political asylum, perhaps you and your mates can have a whip round to fit all the warships with a "naughty step." The pirates can be made to sit on the "naughty step" for up to 3 minutes if they steal another ship and kidnap the crew before getting a hug from the UN representative and asked to play nicely in future.

15. Cough, cough, splutter. That's half a glass of GnT down me shirt. Thanks! :lol: