Not sure if you had noticed but the Fallow Buck season has opened part 1

Discussion in 'Shooting, Hunting and Fishing' started by ugly, Aug 3, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

It did so on August the 1st and like a true meat eater I was out accompanied by Archer, his lovely daughter and a mate or two, big party yes but we get big herdsdown these yere parts.
    anyway I have a few pics here to illustrate what went on, no banjos in sight at all!
    Firstly the field where all the damned does were grazing and the one prickett which we didnt get, secondly after following the herd Alix saw a Roebuck climb off a doe and gave hime the good news, Cody my cocker decided it was time to wake up and sniff.
    finally the lady herself with her first deer
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well we went back to look for the prickett that the non arsser had clipped the front lower leg (nerves we believe) and still couldnt find him, I took Bluebeard the three legged tri colour cocker and let him have his first afternoon stalk.
    I saw the same herd with a prickett but no limp, only way to find out was to shoot to be sure, 100 yards sitting position and it rolled over dead.

Now I aimed at the heart and lungs and imagine my suprise when I got to the deer and there was a hole below its ear, the sort of neck shot I'd openly condemn. I must have fluffed the shot but it was a lucky fluff. I tested the rifle and it was shooting straight, maybe a full check zero tomorrow may reveal more than the one shot to check.
    anyway it smashed the neck and the exit is in pic 2. I dragged it back to my roesack and carried out a hanging gralloch. I intended to wait for the limping buck but it was too hot and after a mile long drag to the chiller I sacked it and went home. One of the youngster bagged another prickett last night but it still wasnt the suspect one. I think 2 more days this week should see if the first client missed completely or not.
  3. Mongo

Mongo LE Reviewer

Looking good! Is that the 6.5 (can't remember the exact calibre) rifle?
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

The roe was taken with a Ruger 77 Mk1 in .243 and the Fallow with a CZ550 in 6,55 x 55.
  5. Ugly, what do you do with the hides?
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a freezer full (well 2 actually) I used to tan them myself but its time consuming so I am looking for a commercial tannery that wont send them to Europe and get them mixed up. Long ******* odds.
    If I take the job working away I may revert to tanning them in my digs, I will need a good landlord!
  7. I've never tanned my own hides, but these The Rams Skull Press - Aus Bushcrafts, Leather and Knotting Titles contain all manner of info on tanning. I mention them because there's a section on oak bark tanning. Drum + water + bark + hide, place drum somewhere prominent, stir solution every time you walk past for 2-3 weeks.

Shouldn't be too smelly/noisy etc.

There's now only two (2) tanneries on the whole East Coast - there used to be hundreds.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Very much a dead industry here and of the two or three that tan on site, none want to do deer skins.
    Bark tanning isnt as easy as it sounds, I have looked into it, I will buy a chemicl kit from Snowdonia taxidermy supplies. Good people.
  9. What do you do with the antlers as I need Roe for Walking sticks that I make, could also use Red and Fallow if you get any?
  10. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

You get sod all from Prickets but I boild down heads for teaching purposes, better to see and touch than to watch a video, the same with the skins. I used to give them to a local stick maker but he got all cuntish when I asked him for a stick with a carved spaniel head so I tend to hang on to them now. I can sort some out if you carve me a spaniel head stick for the missus. I need something unusual for a present for her.
  11. Could have a go, what would wood she like
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

If I send a pic of the dog and you can choose a nice wood to suit?
  13. My carving is usually pretty basic but always up for a challenge
  14. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

He's the handsome bugger on the right in the first pic and the only one with 4 legs in the other one!

Attached Files:

15. Ugly, if you want something unusual for the wife, I've done quite a bit of plaiting in kangaroo hide (and earned a living from it, at one stage) How about a plaited belt, or something like that? Can't provide photos, unfortunately.