Not sure I am in the right place..

Bit new to this internet malarkey but number one son says its a good thing and is watching me over my shoulder to make sure I don't get into too much trouble. I am ex RCT back in the days when we had trucks, brooms bumpers brushes and paint- lots of red lead- but no diesel srevd in BAOR (over the road) op banner and op corporate and got a suntan and flogged loads of meat while on UNFICYP My war record is remarkable I once single handidly fought off an invasion of the Queens hotel Aldershot by the combined might of the Army Catering corps while only armed with a beer mat and 20 John Player Specials ( some of the JPS unfortunately succumbed to their wounds- beer and tabs don't mix)

Not one for the legion and shit shaped berets and overblown war stories , but do every November take a walk up to our small village memorial -handily next door to the village pub- and raise a pint and take a few to remember

Hope to be involved in this group but sorry got no great stories to tell- but there is some great reading here- number one son says if this is in the wrong place then ask if someone can move it to the right place

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
You're probably in the right place. Some tips.
  • Go to the last page of Old and Bold and read your way forwards through time.
  • Read whole threads before replying, or you'll get shouty people whinging that it's already been said.
  • Before replying to a thread, see how long since the last post and consider whether what you have to say is worth resurrecting a dead thread.
  • Use the search function or you'll find @jarrod248 comes after your arse.
I am sure more helpful (and less than helpful) tips will follow.

Used to less helpful - 20 years a truck driver gets a bloke a hard skin-and an over developed right wrist- its lonely in a truck , having had a read I think I got it- I have to mention my time in a place that cant be mentioned with guys who cant be indentified to have any credibility- yes I did do Puckeridge guard- but cant talk about it

clothears

War Hero
Go to the Cold War threads, food threads. Recall the glories of getting your tea NATO standard and sausage buns in the Roundhouse, whatever.

If you are feeling frisky head to the Women you can't fancy thread.

Mind you we female posters don't post about men we should but wouldn't.

Bit new to this internet malarkey but number one son says its a good thing and is watching me over my shoulder to make sure I don't get into too much trouble. I am ex RCT back in the days when we had trucks, brooms bumpers brushes and paint- lots of red lead- but no diesel srevd in BAOR (over the road) op banner

Welcome Haary, you have certainly come to the right place! Expect ridicule for mistakes but you are among people who know, from no notables in your career to seen it all, done it all. Take the advice of those who've already commented, the NAAFI bar is great for laughing, as is this forum, old and bold. You will laugh and you may even cry, importantly you will have the grey matter jogged and comments will jog memories you had forgotten and then force you to comment. It takes a bit of time but you will get used to it and grow to hate/love ARRSE.

Finally, I started my career attached to the RCT, 10 Regt in Bielefeld, 2 1/2 years of bullsh*t, bollox and fun! Early 80's and we were fixing AEC's built in the 50's (knockers) and 60's (Millie's), we wore tin helmets, pattern 58 webbing and doubled lined combats with Chinese fighting suits underneath in the winter, 22 years later I finished my career in Abingdon with 3 CS Transport Regt RLC, full circle then, still bullsh*t and bollox, the RLC now thought they were professional drivers but still made the same old mistakes! Expecting vehicles that didn't move from one month to the next to start, move and drive over 200 miles without oil, batteries topped up or even being first paraded, but guess what I still had fun. We were still fixing 20-30 year old vehicles, Bedfords, Landrovers, Scammells Fodens etc but the difference was I remember all of these vehicles coming into service. Fond memories Haary, and just the place to remember them!

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Welcome, Harry. You certainly are in the right place. You'll find the site a gathering of like minded souls and a place where memories are jogged and banter that only those who have taken the shilling (and, perhaps, a select few civvies) can have. Give as good as you get like you did back in the Sqn/Coy and you can't go too far wrong.

Don't forget to mention 'that rifle' at least once every thread and you'll be fine!

Don't forget to mention 'that rifle' at least once every thread and you'll be fine!
It's not a Godwin but thre must be a name for this phenomenon by now?

Stumpy4154

LE
Book Reviewer
RIP
Would that be the SL ...Aaaaaaaghh? I'm sorry I've just made a mess.

You forgot the comma - "........ which merely eats, shoots and leaves". :)
How did i miss that? I shall throw myself on to my Bic Biro (black for the use of) as penance