not so smart tv.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
Regular readers will know that i bought a smart hd tv a while back. Well I seem to have a problem playing back movies on i player. the tv shows are ok but the films cut off after 30 mins or so . Its done by wifi , I have 6.5 megs unlimited broadband from talk talk who despite their name are a bastard to get hold of . what do you think troops ?

Smart TVs are ahead of their time in most areas, they require top notch broadband for streaming.

I bought one of the first smart TVs that required a seperate USB wifi adaptor, the things a bugger to connect to the wifi, I've essential given up trying to watch any internet content over the TV.

It's not so bad as it's still a bloody good telly.

Download one of those broadband speed testers to see what you really are getting.

BT infinity seem the most reliable when it comes to smart tv compatibility.

Bought one this morning and tinternet would not work. Called the helpline to be told all smart tv internet was down. Is this possible. Is everyone else's "down"?

Imago

Old-Salt
I am not nearly as techy as some of you, but if you live in an old house with stone walls it does depend on where you put the telly. I want the one in the back sitting room there, in that corner; which is separated from the router by quite a lot of stone. So despite a download speed of 53 Mbps when I checked it just now (which is absolutely fine on the set in the front room) I use a BT home hotspot thingy to bounce the WiFi through the kitchen and round the corner. Problem solved.

bcsack

Old-Salt
Connect with an ethernet cable - whenever it's an option always connect with an ethernet cable. Wireless connections are fickle - often you need to reset the router or change the channel it's broadcasting on to get optimal wireless performance. Also, if you must use wifi, make sure the router isn't shielded by radiators, cables and the other ad hoc electrical gear that gets stuffed behind the TV. I'd try to get the router about 1m away from the TV with
no metallic objects between.

Regular readers will know that i bought a smart hd tv a while back. Well I seem to have a problem playing back movies on i player. the tv shows are ok but the films cut off after 30 mins or so . Its done by wifi , I have 6.5 megs unlimited broadband from talk talk who despite their name are a bastard to get hold of . what do you think troops ?
You may need a signal booster. If the wifi box is a good distance from the TV the signal may not be strong enough. My missus had a metal dog cage right next to the wifi. Moving it solved the issue in a Faraday cage stylee.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I am not nearly as techy as some of you, but if you live in an old house with stone walls it does depend on where you put the telly. I want the one in the back sitting room there, in that corner; which is separated from the router by quite a lot of stone. So despite a download speed of 53 Mbps when I checked it just now (which is absolutely fine on the set in the front room) I use a BT home hotspot thingy to bounce the WiFi through the kitchen and round the corner. Problem solved.

i have the tv and router in line of sight 18 foot apart .

bcsack

Old-Salt
Can't connect with a cable ? Anyone else in the house streaming with wifi (tablets, games machines etc). What's
your down/upstream line speed ?

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I fiddled with my modem settings and sort of re set but not if you get me . well everything has speeded up now . it was like unplugging the power for 10 secs but not unplugging it . Apparently it will automatically do it a 03.30 Sundays from now on . thanks troops.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
I lied, pooter runs faster but dance with bloody wolves still wont play !! later on will try another movie .

I lied, pooter runs faster but dance with bloody wolves still wont play !! later on will try another movie .

It might be a really smart tv and is discerning with what it plays.

sirbhp

LE
Book Reviewer
found it troops , my modem is four years old but only runs at 72 mbps rather than 300 on a new one which i shall buy asap. also i shall get one that use's the electric ring main as a net work for my wifi .

72mbps is 10 times what you need to stream good AV. You're looking at the wrong thing.

Either move the router closer to the TV (and get things out of the way, as others have said) or use the PowerLine adapters. You don't need a new router by the sound of it..

I'm astonished. I have VNTV tv fibre optic b ollocks here into a wifi gubbins and it works like a fkn dream.

Except when we have heavy rain.

It is now the rainy season.

72mbps is 10 times what you need to stream good AV. You're looking at the wrong thing.

Either move the router closer to the TV (and get things out of the way, as others have said) or use the PowerLine adapters. You don't need a new router by the sound of it..

I had a lot of trouble with my Powerline adaptors until I realised the problem. They like to be plugged direct into power points and will give a degraded signal if you use an extension block with an integral surge protector.