Not so elderly odd behaviour

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by BONNACON, Aug 2, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Visiting a relative for a few weeks and I'm a bit concerned about her. She's in her mid sixties retired ex academic. usually fun and friendly, we have been very close since I was young.
    Conversations have become a bit strained, where she would be free and easy now she will argue black is white before admitting she is mistaken. Also you will get an answer not related to the question you have put, when pointing this out I get a tenuous link to the subject. (she is very clever).
    The other day she swore blind that she had not visited my wife and I last summer even when we got the pictures out.
    Doing things seems to take her ages and she will concentrate on one part of the task rather than ensuring the thing gets done. Decisions don't come easy either.

Anyone with similar experiences? I don't want to make an appointment with her GP with out her knowledge. She says she is fine But?

Posting on Arrse because of the breadth of experience out there.

2. My late grandmother was exactly the same due to the onset of Alzheimer's.

Without sounding cruel, I'd have rather seen my grandmother euthanized at that point than see the mad woman she became in later years.

3. My wifes grandmother and great aunt also have Alzheimer's/dementia, and this is exactly how they started.

4. Needs to see a GP.

• Like Like x 3
  5. What help will that be if she is coming down with Alzheimers? There is no cure and little pallative care so why bother?

6. My father in law has it. I believe they can give medication to stop it getting worse.

7. It may not be Alzheimers though, and tests can be carried out to determine if it is. Whilst there is no cure, if it is something else, then treatment may be available which could reverse whatever it is. By not going, with the attitude of whats the point, it could potentially prevent a cure of something very simple.

8. Too true - could be something as simple as dehydration.

Posted from the ARRSE Mobile app (iOS or Android)

• Like Like x 1
  9. My MiL has it, all six of her sisters has it, her mother and all 4 Aunts had it as well.
    My wife is shit scared that she will be getting it.

Nothing the doctors did helped in any way what so ever.

Still I suppose going and making sure you actually do have it instead of just a cold or something is probably a good idea.

10. Steven, my bad,

Apparently the old boy has Vascular Dementia which is not the same.

11. Vascular Dementia - something in a totally different vein.

Ah, my coat. Taxi !

12. If she is, which is something for a Doctor to decide upon, methinks.

13. I agree it could be any number of things, including things that are reversible such as stress, depression etc (especially after having had such a stimulating occupation before retirement). Get her to see a GP, and at this stage I would not assume the worst case scenario.

14. What you describe is very similar to my mother, same age, same behaviour, same demeanour. Eventually diagnosed as Alzheimer about 3-4 years later. Get her to a GP and make sure you have enough time during the consult to explain the situation. After that they can conduct tests to verify.

The hard part is getting them to the GP; don't let her go alone. My mother was in denial although I'm sure she knew that there was something wrong. She was never one for going to the doctor always preferring 2 bruffen. After diagnosis she held out till she was 80 but the last couple of years were not happy ones. Unfortunately its called the long goodbye for a good reason.

15. Thanks all. Keeping my fingers crossed. As Amazing-Lobster said after such a stimulating career she may be just a bit down (apologies to anyone with depression just generalising).
    I'm here for another few weeks so I will have a go at getting her to the doctors. Hoping it's other stuff but her gran suffered with dementia and her mum (an exceptionally bright woman) had her moments.