Not seeing improvement.

Discussion in 'ARRSE: Site Issues' started by Monty417, Apr 2, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I personally am not seeing any improvement since new servers were recently installed.

The update was supposed to speed the site up amongst other things and whilst I am not getting the 'Error' message anymore, my own postings are often much much slower. This is whether I use Opera, Firefox, Chrome or latest IE beta. It doesn't happen to me anywhere else on the internet, just here.. my favourite site.

At the moment, we are also all unable to see who has posted a like..and if trying to view them, the latest get wiped out.

Am I the only one who is often suffering a slow posting time here?
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

Posting is slow, but everything else is much faster. This is an unfortunate side effect of Amazon not having an email service in the EU where the web servers are. It means that whenever you post on a long thread, connections are made to the US to send email notifications and that causes a delay.

This is reasonably straight forward to cure - basically we queue up the emails on the European servers, then send them in the background. This is on the things-to-do, but as always the queue is long. Since most people read far more than they post, a bit of a delay seems a very small price to pay for the overall speed improvement.

As I sometimes note we often don't have the man-hour capacity to deal with the beast that is ARRSE in the most professional way. This is an example!
  3. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

As an aside, using Amazon's email service means that our mails get through spam filters most of the time. It costs money, but is worth the expense. So as always your cloud has a silver lining.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Thank you for a clear and easy to understand answer.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9780 using Tapatalk
  5. I've noticed it's faster than it has been, less down time but it has had a few little snags. I'd say on the whole it's better.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Any idea when the "Like" bug will get fixed? I only get about one a week, so they're pwecious ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  7. I concur.

May I like this?
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Much of the trouble now and in the past seems to be linked to email notifications, why not just do away with it? Why do you need to be notified every time someone posts a reply to your subscribed threads, surely just as easy to look at replies to my posts when you log on or connect.

Or am I missing something?
  9. NO ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Bugger!
  11. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

This should now be sorted. Emails are being sent to a queue on our servers, then forwarded to Amazon in the US in the background, rather than the ARRSE software talking directly to Amazon and making you wait. Now email is surprisingly complex stuff thanks to spammers so there may be secondary problems, but posting on long threads should be reasonably quick again.

I should add that posting is always going to be slower than just reading a page.
  12. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

And now to the likes problem........
    • Like Like x 2
  13. It's very good now boss. Cheers!