Not religous, but thought some arrsers might appreciate this!

Discussion in 'Films, Music and All Things Artsy' started by BryanTheMegalodon, Mar 29, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was listening to classic FM in bed last night and whilst I've always admired and loved this peice,I could never put a name to it until last night. Apparently it is traditional for this to be played on Good Friday. Whatever, absolutely amazing and I believe it contains the highest pitched note possible to achieve. You'll recognise it when she hits it! Enjoy .
    • Like Like x 3
  2. Nice to know I'm not the only one who enjoys Classic FM. I have it on pretty much all the time and am presently listening to the 2013 Hall of Fame, having placed my votes a few weeks ago : 1st The Lark Ascending (Vaughan Williams), 2nd Ravel's Piano Concerto in G, 3rd Holberg Suite (Grieg).

I probably need to get out more, but I find classical music very therapeutic.

Bryan, thanks for posting.
    • Like Like x 3
  3. Ditto lumpy! Here in the accomodation block its pretty much every man for himself music wise and whislt I like pretty much all genres, going to sleep with Classic FM is pretty much a routine now. I'm only 24!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Allegri's Miserere was originally written for one of the Popes and the music was kept secret so that it would only be heard in the Vatican. It was passed on the by the Vatican choirmasters.

A young Mozart heard it in the Vatican, got back to his lodgings and wrote it down...he went back the next day to confirm he got it right.

The rest is history. IIRC the original version was meant to be sung by an all male choir, with the high notes being sung by the castrati. These days they use women singers for the high notes.

The music itself is over 400 years old and IMHO is one of the greatest works of art ever produced by man. Allegri was touched by genius when he composed it - it is almost enough to make one believe in a god!

It is also one of the few peices of music which can make me stop what I am doing and shut my eyes to listen to it. Stunningly beautiful.

Miserere (Allegri) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

• Like Like x 2
  5. Oh, and I like your choices! I must confess that naming pices is hard, its really only in the last few months that I have become fixed on classical, after a shit days beasting and being smashed around from ******** to breakfast time, it really does allow me to switch off. Am I old before my time?
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Thanks for that R2Q, just looking at it now and it I totally agree. If there is no God, how can there be something so exquisite? True genius.

Had a tough week this and last week and been close to quitting at a few points. Right now, its all done and focussing on the positives whilst listening to this. Looking forward to next week. It''s amazing what music can do.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Classic FM is alright, but it is a bit mainstream. Radio 3 on the otherhand picks out some of the more obscure classicals.
    • Like Like x 1
  9. I do like Classic FM but as stated earlier it can be a bit mainstream. Also a fan of Jazz FM.

Sent via Heliograph from the Jebel Birkenhead
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Just downloaded both.
  11. I'm an extreme atheist on a mission to wipe out jesus freaks but must confess my love of J S Bach, Mozart, Handel, Vivaldi and other composers of music inspired by faith... But hey I like Nirvana too... inspired by dope, same thing in my opinion.
  12. Another superb piece - as much as I love classic rock music and metal, few forms of music can move me like the power of the human voice in classical music and opera. These first two have the benefit of being sunbg by attractive ladies as a bonus...

Saint Saens arie My heart opens itself to your voice from Opera Samson and Delilah - YouTube
    Renée Fleming - Song to the Moon with Lyrics - YouTube

...and the greatest aria of them all:

1983 MET100 GALA:Madama Butterfly. Duet, Act I / Puccini - YouTube