Not quite as Sufi...

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Nehustan, Nov 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs Sufis should be...

Well that type of behaviour is really going to work in Iran, smart cookies :roll:

It reminds of a statement attributed to one of Salahadin's men about the execution of some Latin knights...

'Salahadin had the Sufis execute them'

'Sufis??? What do Sufis know of swords?'

2. Martially inclined Sufis are hardly new?

3. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think that Martial Muslims inclined to Sufism is as you point out nothing new. However Sufism itself is more inclined to metaphysical pursuits rather than martial arts. Ironically I have a book at home called 'Sufi Chivalry' which outlines a Chivalric code, but (and I think it was in this book) that it reveals that the Sufis were known as 'The secret Christians' as a result of their usual path; it doesn't infer a rejection of Muhammad as an added affinity to the teachings of Jesus.

Re: the article an Imam threatens to close their lodge, so they attack a mosque and get their lodge destroyed. Seems a wee bit light of Sufic wisdom to me...
  4. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Ahhhh...just realised I didn't give the link....

5. Janissary; Bektashi-dominated to the end, so I understood. I'd be surprised if they didn't feature in this book, oddly enough; who wrote it?

Re the article; maybe they know something we don't? Maybe there's a batini aspect to this we're missing... :wink:
  6. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

Sufi Chivalry

Written by Ibn Al-Husayn al-Sulami in AD 9 I think...
  7. Ah. Maybe not then :D

It's a real education, is ARRSE. I love it...

Edited to say 9AD? There's early, and there's Sufi early :wink:
  8. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I think there's a tradition that there were some old wise ones who used to sit against the wall of the prophet's mosque in Medina during the time of the prophet, can't recall where I read that, but I think they are attributed as the first year 0 ;)
  9. Haven't a clue but it could well be. IIRC at least several of the early Ottoman Sultans took a fair amount of interest in the school of thought and up until the early 1600s the Empire was pretty much the mutts nuts all things considered.
  10. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

The Janissaries that ET spoke off where actually often adopted Christian orphans; they were meant to fiercely nutty and loyal. I think I read somewhere that it was around the same time as they were allowed to marry and spawn children that the Ottoman empire went to pot...
  11. Purple_Flash

Purple_Flash War Hero Moderator

The use of the word 'Lodge' is interesting. Is someone trying to draw them into the Dan Brown milieu?
  12. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

I'm not sure why the usage, probably the equivalent from Arabic? That said they deal with metaphysical concepts of a similar ilk to masonry, cosmological etc. so maybe that is where the parallel comes in...
  13. AD 9? Are you sure? If so, what calander are you using?
  14. Oh bloody hell - don't get into one of those kind of discussions with Nehustan, you'll be here all week :wink:
  15. Nehustan

Nehustan On ROPs

10th Century C.E. (936–1021) to be exact...