Not motivated to run outside

Discussion in 'The Training Wing' started by ade_dut, Jan 17, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I have a treadmill but it's manual and is already on a incline, and i like using the treadmill but i would like to get out and run, i walk alot but i can't get motivated to run. I have my TA Selection Course in 2 weeks and i wan't to improve but just get motivated. Can anyone tell me how to get motivated?

2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Its simple really - just focus on the thought that if you do badly at selection, you will feel extremely silly. If you pass and then can't hack the training you will feel really silly.

On the practical side an MP3 player loaded with thumping tunes helps. It also helps if you can find someone to run with.

3. Well, use whatever motivated you to start the app process for the TA in the first place :)

4. I'm going to TA selection too.

I'm concentrating on 1.5 mile in under 14 minutes.

If you can't do this you will have a short TA career.

GET ON THE TREADMILL!!

Regards

PS the Army will get you cold & wet later

5. Treadmills are fine for calorie burning etc but they cannot be seen as a substitute for hitting the road. Like many things in the Military, there is no easy option. If you can to a 1.5 mile run on a mill at 12 mins for example, I doubt that you will manage that on the road.
    Dont be lazy, kid yourself that you are only going for a short run and that you will be back in a few mins..... then go for a proper run.

6. Changing the thread slightly but still on track.

What "Thumping Tunes," get you running :?

7. That's your motivation right there!

Put a note on your fridge, front door, bedroom door, bathroom door etc. saying in big letters:
    GO OUT FOR A RUN! SELECTION IN 12 DAYS!

Then write your times under it.

Good luck!

8. Going off someone's reply in a previous thread, walk into your local gym, find the biggest baddest looking muthaf***er in the place, bitch slap him, then f***ing leg it. If that don't get your fitness up, i don't really know what will.

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Believe me, the hardest part is getting out of the front door!

10. You might be putting something you know you have to do off perhaps because you are actually a bit stressed about it. The more you put it off the worse it becomes because you get more worried even if you do not actually sit there thinking "I am worried about not having done that"

Very common behaviour pattern.

Do not think about it too much but set a time and just do it.

Most likely you will break the mindset right off because it will not be that bad but also immediately clear that you must to more of it. And you will then curse yourself for having been a dozy prat!

All been there at some point or other matey.

11. Bowmore_Assassin

Bowmore_Assassin LE Moderator Book Reviewer

1 x Sheet A4. Laminate it. At the top in non-permanent pen write the month and year.

On one side put in BIG BOLD CAPITALS -

I RAN TODAY and a picture of a smiley face :D .

In the middle put in BIG BOLD LETTERS -

REST DAY/SICK/INJURED

On the other side put in BIG BOLD CAPITALS -

I DID NOT RUN.
    I WAS LAZY.
    THERE WAS NO EXCUSE. :x

Stick it on your fridge or bathroom mirror.

Each Day circle the comment above which applies in thick red non-permanent marker.

At the bottom of the page do a grid numbered 1-31.

Each day colour the corresponding date box in with non-permanent pen - Green if you ran, red if you did not, yellow or any other colour for your rest day or if you are genuinely sick/injured.

Be honest:

Lots of red - You have been idle. You will be unfit if you keep this up. You will eventually get fat if this carries on. Your health will suffer. You will not be able to do your job as a soldier if you are not fit.

Lots of green - Good stuff. Keep it up.

Lots of yellow - Too many rest days or you are not well or injured. Do something about it.

And RUN.

Enter a 10km race which takes place in six weeks - this will also motivate you.

12. Or you could just run???

13. Have you thought it wouldnt be as bad as you think? Before my hubbie went to RN basic training, he was great on the tredmill doing the 2.4km in 11.30 mins (not bad for a 35yr old), every day. But me being concerned that road running would be a shock (and he would be crap) when he got to Raleigh I nagged him to run outside - I went on my bike and went 1.2km and then back to make the 2.4km, I told him the way and a promise of a lager when he return (if he did it in under 12mins) Anyway he came back in 10.19mins, so me being such a arse thought he cheated or got the marker wrong, as everyone said road running is much harder then the tradmill, I followed him the next day and he hadnt cheated.

So you may find you enjoy road running more then the boring tredmill.

Its all in your head mate, just get started. One question? if your not motavited do you REALLY want this?

Good Luck anyway

• Informative Informative x 1
  14. did my 2nd run last night. 13.45secs 2nd run. 1st run a terrible 17.45secs. And i really enjoy it.

15. 14 minutes? Fcuk me, I can do that hopping!!!

If you have no motivation, no point in even considering starting. You will be a liability when you really need to start moving.