NOT made in PR China ....

Truxx

LE
Yeah, that's part of the reason for subsidies.

Another reason is that most countries subsidise and there's little point competing against that.

The main one is, we want cheap food and as l said itis easier to subsidise 30k farms than 20m households.

All that being so, I'd still like a little bit of doing as they're fxxxxng told and being grateful from the pampered bastards.

Note: all of the above doesn't apply to small and tenant farmers. Especially livestock ones.

By the by, arable farms have fxxx all work to do half the year. You don't need to be up at 0345 to tend a potato in distress or milk the wheat
Spuds get stressed you know.

Seriously.

Ok but what the fcuk has that got to do with the Japs inventing rust proof? Agree, why not just wrap them so the didnt rust until sold?

My old mans Landrover Safari came with a sort of bitumen coated chassis and undercoat and it didnt come from America or Japan. It was also made of aluminium panels, I dont recall the massive rust holes we had in standard vehicles but I was young.
I think the issue here is that a rust proof car has been possible for at least 50 years, it’s not been in anyone’s interest on the basis of inbuilt obsolescence. Land Rover built their vehicles in Birmabright (code name for Ally) because there were no other options at the time. Steel wasn’t around in quantity and ally was practical. No very expensive presses needed. I used to work at Henleys in the 60’s. British cars tended to be pressed from thicker steel, 16 gauge being a norm, that got thinner later just because of the weight aspect.

There are lots of farmers who do OK without any subsidy, and there is a strong body of support for binning the current single farm payment system.

The single biggest issue is that payment is made on a acreage not production.

Thus my chum, a young tenant farmer, gets nowt. Because the subsidy goes to the landowner and does not really get passed on.

Worse still is the use of subsidies to suppress initiatives on some pretext or other.

There are good landlords and there are less good landlords.

Well worth following the debate on the NF U website.
EU subsidies encourage crops beneficial to such places as ‘Green’ Germany.
lots of money to be had growing crops to feed its bio ethanol demands.

Range Rovers of every possible marque
Plenty plenty Jags you betchum
BMW 'Minis' - made in Oxford

Fahsands of 'em......

View attachment 484507
I’m not reading through the rest of this thread, but taking cars on/off ships all day long in Southampton can be zero hours contracts for minimum wage. And you have other duties (eg preparing for alarms).
I would suggest that is how much GB cares about their imports and exports and the people who shift them about when it comes to cars.

Truxx

LE
I think the issue here is that a rust proof car has been possible for at least 50 years, it’s not been in anyone’s interest on the basis of inbuilt obsolescence. Land Rover built their vehicles in Birmabright (code name for Ally) because there were no other options at the time. Steel wasn’t around in quantity and ally was practical. No very expensive presses needed. I used to work at Henleys in the 60’s. British cars tended to be pressed from thicker steel, 16 gauge being a norm, that got thinner later just because of the weight aspect.
Land rover.

Body by Birmabrite

Chassis by weetabix.

XPara Mugg

War Hero
I suppose loosely , Vacuums are Plant- but it beats using a broom
I see what you did there:

1593161028465.png

Broom sweeps clean

The name Plantagenet came from Geoffrey Plantagenet, Count of Anjou, who was reputed to wear a sprig of the yellow ‘planta genista’ (also known as the Broom plant) in his hat. However, the Encyclopedia Britannica has speculated that the Plantagenet name ‘more likely’ arose because Geoffrey supposedly planted broom to improve his hunting covers.

He married Empress Matilda, the daughter of Henry I of England and they had three children, including Henry, who succeeded to the English throne, founding the Plantagenet dynasty, as Henry II.

Geoffrey was described as handsome and red headed, jovial and a great warrior. He was born on 24th August 1113 and died after a sudden fever on 7th September 1152, aged 38, in Le Mans, where he was buried.

That question's been asked and answered a multitude of times at checkouts the length of the country. If it hadn't, we wouldn't have this thread in the first place.
It is a lot more complex than that, mnf is returning for a whole host of reasons and a lot is leaving the PRC for SE Region and North Africa.

China is not the location of choice for mnf or even parts if you have an alternative - and on the latter market forces are at work

Dr Death

War Hero
1593173896883.png

Kenwood Mixer ( pre 2002 ) .
My mother has one still used weekly which has travelled the world and I can remember her using 45 years ago.

Pick one up - if you can - in a Charity Shop or Amazon I guess because since 2002 they have been Made in Covid Central.
We inherited one of a similar age, it works perfectly and most parts are still available. The sections involving springs couldn't have been any stronger when new as they would have removed your fingers!

We inherited one of a similar age, it works perfectly and most parts are still available. The sections involving springs couldn't have been any stronger when new as they would have removed your fingers!
Mother put her old Kenwood in the skip. She 'needed' a brand new one.

Legs

ADC
Book Reviewer
Strike Dyson vacuum cleaners off that list. Clever, effective, sh*t engineering. <snip>

That nice Mr Dyson has no interest whatsoever in making vacuum cleaners that last 25 years.

Kenwood Chef food mixers, however.

In a thousand years Time Team will be digging up Kenwood Chefs, plugging them in to a nearby wind turbine and knocking out a batch of sponge cakes before you can say Tony Robinson.

<snip>

My better half fell in love with Dysons years ago. However, even their 'animal' range don't do a decent job at all with pet hair. They clog, their spinning brush type head is powered by the air rushing past it, but doesn't move if there is any hint of resistance. Like a carpet, for example. I finally convinced her to ditch the Dyson and find something better. We now have a 'Shark'. It's utterly brilliant. Cleans better and deeper, the spinning brushes have some wizardry that means hair never, ever gets tangled in it. The waste tank is smaller, but that's a small price to pay. And it even has headlights! But it's made in China. Oh well....

As to Kenwoods, we've had ours years and never had a hint of bother with it, and we've made everything from bread and cakes, to home made sausages and mince, to thick whipped cream, even butter. And it never fails to deliver the business.