NOT made in PR China ....

Truxx

LE
My better half fell in love with Dysons years ago. However, even their 'animal' range don't do a decent job at all with pet hair. They clog, their spinning brush type head is powered by the air rushing past it, but doesn't move if there is any hint of resistance. Like a carpet, for example. I finally convinced her to ditch the Dyson and find something better. We now have a 'Shark'. It's utterly brilliant. Cleans better and deeper, the spinning brushes have some wizardry that means hair never, ever gets tangled in it. The waste tank is smaller, but that's a small price to pay. And it even has headlights! But it's made in China. Oh well....

As to Kenwoods, we've had ours years and never had a hint of bother with it, and we've made everything from bread and cakes, to home made sausages and mince, to thick whipped cream, even butter. And it never fails to deliver the business.
I have given over trying to use my engineering nous to show Mrs Trux the error of her Dyson ways and we must be on our 4th or 5th and she just keeps buying them regardless.

Meanwhile the Kenwood chef that we inherited from my mum that she got as a wedding present (in the 1950s) still keeps on tucking. Corded flex and bakelite plug and everything.

As for vacuums I have just blown up an Aldi one which we have abused in the workshop for at least 4 years. Amongst many other tasks well beyond its job spec it has been routinely hooked up to a big sandblasting cabinet. So £80, a fraction of the price of a Dyson, well spent.

I am now looking forward to a weekend of Hobgoblin and Hoover purchasing.

Slime

LE
Aye that’s true unfortunately. I’m an advocate of some is better than none. Interestingly there is a small factory up here makes a lot of the fabric used in British military personal protective equipment (sometimes worn over the top of your uniform if you catch my drift). They also make linings for reservoirs and loads of other things. Interesting little place.

I’m going to have to look up the Gamma torches, I assume if you have three then they must be decent?
I think the Gamma was always a bit of a marmite product.

For me it was a cheap reliable torch with a good choice of lighting options.
It wasn’t waterproof, but that wasn’t an issue for me. It had a rear battery pack with a red rear facing LED so that was good for country lanes or seeing someone in front of you. They started at 51 lumens max from memory, but are three times that now.

What people didn't like about them was that it could be easy to break the tabs of the original battery pack. I’ve never broken one in twenty years, but then I wouldn’t throw a plastic torch around :)

The initial batches of torches had options for different coloured straps, this was useful if a group of three people had them etc, as it would identify each torch.

The latest version only came with one colour strap, and also has a different battery pack. the battery pack is stronger, but isn’t fixed in a set position on the strap, I find this a bit annoying compared to the old fixed position battery packs.

We have a miele vacuum cleaner it is the pet one, now nearly 15 years old, absolutely faultless apart from some paint on the on/off pedal.
If it should break it will be going to miele for repair, £125 including all parts apparently they come back like new.

Yokel

LE
Whilst watching old documentaries on YouTube, I stumbled across a few short videos produced by Sellafield Ltd. A number of these mentioned the bespoke equipment designed and developed for them - such as flasks for radioactive waste made by Cambrian company TSP Engineering.

TSP Engineering

Steel fabrication is part of what they do.

My better half fell in love with Dysons years ago. However, even their 'animal' range don't do a decent job at all with pet hair. They clog, their spinning brush type head is powered by the air rushing past it, but doesn't move if there is any hint of resistance. Like a carpet, for example. I finally convinced her to ditch the Dyson and find something better. We now have a 'Shark'. It's utterly brilliant. Cleans better and deeper, the spinning brushes have some wizardry that means hair never, ever gets tangled in it. The waste tank is smaller, but that's a small price to pay. And it even has headlights! But it's made in China. Oh well....

As to Kenwoods, we've had ours years and never had a hint of bother with it, and we've made everything from bread and cakes, to home made sausages and mince, to thick whipped cream, even butter. And it never fails to deliver the business.
I remember one of the lads got a "demo" of one of those cleaners to do the digs lounge. No, of course we didn't buy it. :mrgreen:

We have a miele vacuum cleaner it is the pet one, now nearly 15 years old, absolutely faultless apart from some paint on the on/off pedal.
If it should break it will be going to miele for repair, £125 including all parts apparently they come back like new.
I bought a new one on offer or less than that. Bloody brilliant. If it wasn't for that I would have bought a Numatic Henry. I still might get one one day.