• ARRSE have partnered with Armadillo Merino to bring you an ARRSE exclusive, generous discount offer on their full price range.
    To keep you warm with the best of Merino gear, visit www.armadillomerino.co.uk and use the code: NEWARRSE40 at the checkout to get 40% off!
    This superb deal has been generously offered to us by Armadillo Merino and is valid until midnight on the the 28th of February.

Not in the Public interest to prosecute Chief Inspector...

Doesn't mean she's not in the sh!t with work.
From the article she might have been trying to prove a point on a subject that she had taken up with M&S.

Unorthodox to be sure.

Airfix said:
.... for shoplifting!

Link: http://www.chichester.co.uk/Seaside town-news/Worthings-police-chief-will-NOT.4735322.jp

Now, as I understand it, 'not in the public interst' usualy means, 'we have evidence, but we ain't going to do you for it!

Just what does this bint know or who is she screwing to get away with it!
having read the article, looks more like her and her DCI were trying to educate M&S on how easy it was to walk out with alcohol. would be a bit silly for 2 very senior police officers to jeopardise their careers over a bottle of wine. M&S manager responding badly to a bit of constructive criticism, perhaps?

She might just be an alcoholic in denial. Who amongst us can honestly say we've not tried the old 'testing security' number when caught walking out the door with a bottle of dinner under our coats?

Might just be that the Court considered her dead mate (only possible defence witness as well) and her possible loss of job as punishment enough.

Who amongst us can honestly say we've not tried the old 'testing security' number when caught walking out the door with a bottle of dinner under our coats?
You nearly had me there but you're joking right? :wink: (I ferkin' hope so!)

In fairness had she been on her own in this then I might have agreed with you, at least as far as the closet alky chancing her arm bit goes. But TWO senior coppers conspiring to steal one bottle of wine and willing to jeopardise careers, pensions, families etc and with a certain Prison sentence thrown in? Ridiculous.

western said:
Might just be that the Court considered her dead mate (only possible defence witness as well) and her possible loss of job as punishment enough.
When would that stop it ordinarily? If there is evidence, she should be tried. Simple.

smartascarrots said:
She might just be an alcoholic in denial. Who amongst us can honestly say we've not tried the old 'testing security' number when caught walking out the door with a bottle of dinner under our coats?
You should just drink it on the premises - why take the risk? :D

My reading is that any punishment would be outweighed by the circumstances she already finds herself in. Her partner appears to have comitted suicide (or have I misread that?) and she will face disciplinary action which may well result in the loss of her job. What would be served by having an expensive trial where, if found guilty, she could well end up with a conditional discharge or community sentence for a first time relative minor offence. Even factoring in her being plod I can't see a judge handing down a custodial sentence.
So basically they are saying it is not in the public's interest to have an expensive trial, I agree.

exile1 said:
expensive trial? what's up with going before a magistrate and being weighed off?
Indictable Offence, the accused has a right to jury trial if he/she chooses.

You can bet that "not in the public interest" means that "although we believe her to be guilty, some smart barrister will drag-up lots of shit about work-pressure etc. and play for the sympathy of the jury. There's a better than even chance that she'll get the jury sympathy and we'll have spent loads of money for no reason. Plus an acquittal would queer the pitch for the much easier to prove discipline offences so let's take that route."

If they were "testing" the system then their should have to be some sort of evidence. Ie. A pre written letter. I wouldn´t underestimate the success of such initives.

On the flip side, if they are closet alcholics...

Try her. She is a copper and this just stinks of a cover up the way it has been left. Their should be NO "not in the public interests" let offs. By default letting a scrote off is not in the publics interests.

For punishment see my post on moving a few tons of sand acros a football pitch :twisted:

I don't know the details of this case but what if she was charged with being an accessory to her partner who actually comitted the theft? He is now dead, is public interest served by persuing her?

It's a tragic case especially the circumstances of Jim Torbet but
'Testing the System' it certainly wasn't and while it may be an excuse that the judge/magistrate might have bought, it certainly didn't wash with the M&S security staff and the arresting officers. Assuming that defence was even raised at the time of arrest.

Why should a senior officer in the Professional Standards Dept at Lewes and another officer in charge of a different district be testing the system in a store not in their 'manor'?

I suspect that the decision not to prosecute was a reasonable one- there were probably mitigating factors which would have come up at the trial.

People in their circumstances don't shoplift to save a few bob-it's likely to be a symptom and a condition that they have no control over.

And surprisingly, not rare among senior police officers, a few years back a top Scotland Yard officer, tipped as a future commissioner, was also caught shoplifting and disappeared into oblivion. I don't regard him as a villain, either.

DCI Torbet, by all accounts, was a decent and honourable man beset by personal tragedy.
A case maybe of ,'There but for the grace of God....'

this decision does open the door to early retirement on a medical pension due to stress prior to a disciplinary hearing. No criminal conviction and an early googbye. As previously stated, would this be open to the lower ranks?

Latest Threads