Not enough time left to be promoted

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by snatch_block, May 19, 2003.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I was recently told by a colleague that he knows of two out of court settlements by the MOD because the SNCO's where not considered for promotion because they had less than 2 years to go. Can anyone shed any light on this matter? I was told that they were R Signals.

Were they right to claim?

I believe that they claimed under equal rights.
  2. Soldier_Why

Soldier_Why LE Moderator

Any time spent in PAID rank in your last 5 years is a qualification for pension, however full pension rights are for two years paid rank (Acting or Sub).  Any period less than 2 years will give you a percentage rise in your pension.

So if you were Acting for a year for instance your pension would be that of your sub rank plus half the difference between that and the next rank.
  3. Careful what you do with the bottle of champers there Dzer, you could get more of a suprise than you originally intended  ;) ;D
  4. This may have happened sometime ago but now I believe you are eligible right up until you go.

I know a few SNCOs who were picked up in their last year and then had the option of serving an extra year (which they took) in order to qualify for their pension in the higher rank.
  5. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Big grey area! They say you won't get picked up in your last 2 years but people do. Then they get an extra 2 years to get their next rank pension. (This is from my knowledge in my Corps)

But then surely if you are in your last 2 years you could rack your hand in and get shabby 'D' AR's as it doesn't matter how you perform. (Proffessionalism prevents this and the MCM's know this)

It would be interesting to see if there was a legal president here, I doubt it as the MoD usually have the bases covered, like the slimy gits that they are! Its probably in small print on the back of your Oath of Alliegence!
  6. I believe it is the fact that they have not been considered for promotion and NOT the fact that that they were not promoted  ;)
  7. I think most MCMs take a pretty sensible view.  I'm not aware of chaps in their last two years actually being screened out from promotion opportunities just because they don't have enough time.  The view i've seen is 'if yer recomended etc" you still go in the hat.  It is also common practice to offer extended service beyond 22yrs to enable slodiers to qualify for the 2 tyears paid rank etc.

Perhaps the specifics of the case mentioned are a wee bit more complex? and had other factors.

8. I know of at least one case where the soldier finished as a SSgt after 22 years but stayed on extended service.

He found out that his last 2 CR's were not on the board and questioned it (Though I'm Not fully up to speed if he used civvie legal routes) and they subsequently promoted him to WO2.

Amazing, that they could firstly just take people off the board and secondly break their golden rule and promote someone beyond pension point.
  9. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

The RAMC and I think the AGC put out memorandums to state this, I saw the RAMC on my Part One Orders as a Notice. Clearly stated- less than 2 years to go- hand your pi$$ed mattress and ID card and get off the camp! (Well nearly!) But when it suits the Powers that be the odd individual gets promoted and an extra 2 years! In the RAMC, that  normally a re-tread who couldn't serve in a Fd unit and needs to stay in some hi-tech bluff job! Which the Corps would rank-range just for him! (Rant over)
  10. Now  now .. sounds like some sour grapes here.   ;)

Having sat on a number of boards as many people on this site have, there are very strict guidelines as to who can and cannot go forward to boards. It is open to scrutiny and well advertised.

To be frank, board members are concentrating so hard on reading comments in the CR that looking to see ROD on the front page is an irrelevance.

It all comes down to what is in the CR !
  11. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

Sounds like the Party Line here  ;)

Sorry, the fact you don't know me or my circumstances no Sour Grapes's here, I was more than happy with my final rank, the RAMC have put out instructions individuals will not be considered for promotion in their last two years of service. Infact I must get a copy and post it on here.
  12. There was a directive a while ago (18 months 'ish?) from the top man at MCM Div that promotion in the last 2 years was to become the exception rather than the rule. This to apply across the board to all Regt, Corps etc. I know as I was told about the 'policy' change after not being selected on the last board before entering my final 2 years. Hence told not to expect any further promotion.

Luckily I had just got copies of my CRs and had noticed a comment to the effect that someone at MCM  (clerk??) had removed an insert regarding an Op Agricola tour that wasn't in the correct format. Therefore no record of tour, let alone performance on tour going forward to promotion board. One redress, one sweeper board later = one promotion.

Another sore point, you get selected from a promotion board by a board of officers but it is left to clerks (E1's etc) to implement the promotions. Can this be right? The impression I've been given anyway unless someone can confirm otherwise.