"Not enough MTDs for you to do Junior Brecon"

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by Bravo_Bravo, Feb 18, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Out with some young thrusters this weekend, and one of them commented that his bid for Brecon had not been put forward because of "lack of MTDs".

Has anyone else come across this? ( or think it sucks? )

Seems to be that for an Infantry JNCO to be declined an essential course for this reason is pretty poor...
  2. Seems very dubious. When I was TA permanent staff we had plenty of MTDs to use due to the usual crop of infrequent/non attenders and bounty hunters. A very simple letter to Bde was all that was usually necessary to get some more MTDs freed up for courses etc. Fobbing off abloke who wants to get on and is a regular attender is just plain stupid. At the end of the day we need the TA to Force Generate for Ops, this kind of business is just limiting the big army's options.
  3. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

What else has he done in this training year? It may well be that he has hit his individual limit beyond which he needs to get Bde approval.

4. B_B

What unit was he from & was it cold enough for you this weekend?
  5. That's different one. My lot have been very firmly told that MTD's for career courses are available.
  6. Thats a new one. Never heard of Courses being scrubbed due to MTD, have heard and experienced weekends being scuppered due to MTD and financial reasons.

The only reason is that he might have exceeded his MTD in which case it is either an extension to his MTD, reallocated from an non attender, or waiver letter from Bde, or it could come out of Bn HQ Budget as BHQ work
  7. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Not that easy. Some Bdes set an absolute limit on MTDs on a per person basis, days beyond this require Bde Comds approval. This is to prevent the full time-part time bit, and ensure budget control.

In our case it is up to 80 per person on COs approval, Bde comnds required after that (IIRC).

If the JNCO in question is a mega keen bloke with every weekend, camp and maybe another course or two already done then it is easy to use up the allocated days.
  8. not being arrsy but if so, why dont they just ask for approval. Surely that is the sort of thing we pay PSAOs for?
  9. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Maybe they have, who knows? There are more than enough threads on here commenting on the MTD budget issue.

If he has not done many MTDs then he shold be allowed to go for it. If he has done loads of MTDs but not all of the same quality as SCBC he may not be granted the extension, and therefore he/the unit should have managed his MTD useage better.

Budgets have to be managed, like it or not, but without the exact details of the soldier and his MTD profile we are ot in the position to say whether this call is right or not.
  10. fair play - long day at work!
  11. Not sure - he os not in my gang, but I'll ask.
    He turns up at the RTC a fair bit, and does the Fieldcraft so its a pretty necessary course.

Capbadged PWRR, not sure if your Bn or Londons.

Ref the cold, I can confirm that a Softie 9 did not cut it friday; I gibbered for NATO. Swapped it for the bouncing bomb saturday, much much better.

That and some bacon butties a la Farm Nine... six below sunday am, Iwas told.
  12. -8C... I want to penetrate whoever invented Buffalos.
  13. when we were doing fire drill in our shreddies at stupid o clock cos some twat left the burco on
  14. I was gutted to hear that the heating in one of the blocks was U/S.

15. But it made the training "Challenging" :D