Not awight - what really happened at Michael Barrymore's gaff.

Ravers

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Fight fight fight.

Dr Death

Clanker
All the medical evidence seems to show horrific internal injures to this young man's anus that is normally caused by rape & or putting other things inside the back passage, just do not understand how Barrymore has got away with it for so long, he must have known or been involved in the buggery. Maybe the clocking is running down for him.

Barrymore would get his fill in prison though

Deserter

On ROPS
On ROPs
All the medical evidence seems to show horrific internal injures to this young man's anus that is normally caused by rape & or putting other things inside the back passage, just do not understand how Barrymore has got away with it for so long, he must have known or been involved in the buggery. Maybe the clocking is running down for him.

Barrymore would get his fill in prison though
Its quite possible that Barrymore Had nothing to do with it, it seems a fairly large property, if he was in the Kitchen and Lubbock and perhaps one, two or three other men where in the garden!.. and I find it highly unlikely any of the women present would allow something like this to go on.

zampos

Crow
Its quite possible that Barrymore Had nothing to do with it, it seems a fairly large property, if he was in the Kitchen and Lubbock and perhaps one, two or three other men where in the garden!.. and I find it highly unlikely any of the women present would allow something like this to go on.
Hi, I discovered this forum for the first time today.

I'm Anthony Bennett (usually called Tony), who began investigating this case in January 2006, the week when Barrymore tried to revive his career with an appearance on Celebrity Big Brother. I later wrote the book "NOT AWIGHT: Getting Away With Murder", together with Terry Lubbock, father of the murdered young man, Stuart Lubbock.

In answer to the above point by @Deserter, I am not personally aware of any evidence that proves that Barrymore was directly involved in the physical acts that killed Stuart Lubbock that night.

Soon after my book was serialised in the News of the World, Essex Police arrested three men on suspicion of murder: Michael Barrymore, his then lover Jonathan Kenney, and local drug dealer Justin Merritt. I do not think Essex Police would have arrested these three men unless they had, in the words of the law' "reasonable grounds to suspect" that these three had a hand in his murder.

Stuart was raped to death. It is unlikely that one man alone could have done that and restrained him. There were restraint injuries and clear signs of asphyxiation - NOT drowning.

We know from the police witness statements, which I had access to, that at around 3.30am, Stuart, Jonathan Kenney and Justin Merritt were together in a jacuzzi (NOT the swimming pool), being plied with various drinks by Merritt's sister Kylie. Barrymore had provided Stuart with swimming trunks. It is likely in my view that this was an immediate prelude to the subsequent rape of Stuart. I put the time of his murder likely around 4am. The 6 liars who covered this up didn't 'phone the Ambulance Service until 5.46am.

It is certainly possible (though in my view unlikely) that Barrymore was not present during the rape which killed Stuart.

However, it is certain that he lied through his teeth (along with 5 others) by helping to fake a drowning and lying to police about what really happened.

I'm happy to try and answer any questions forum members may have about this gruesome murder.

I'm Anthony Bennett (usually called Tony), who began investigating this case in January 2006, the week when Barrymore tried to revive his career with an appearance on Celebrity Big Brother. I later wrote the book "NOT AWIGHT: Getting Away With Murder", together with Terry Lubbock, father of the murdered young man, Stuart Lubbock.

In answer to the above point by @Deserter, I am not personally aware of any evidence that proves that Barrymore was directly involved in the physical acts that killed Stuart Lubbock that night.

Soon after my book was serialised in the News of the World, Essex Police arrested three men on suspicion of murder: Michael Barrymore, his then lover Jonathan Kenney, and local drug dealer Justin Merritt. I do not think Essex Police would have arrested these three men unless they had, in the words of the law' "reasonable grounds to suspect" that these three had a hand in his murder.

Stuart was raped to death. It is unlikely that one man alone could have done that and restrained him. There were restraint injuries and clear signs of asphyxiation - NOT drowning.

We know from the police witness statements, which I had access to, that at around 3.30am, Stuart, Jonathan Kenney and Justin Merritt were together in a jacuzzi (NOT the swimming pool), being plied with various drinks by Merritt's sister Kylie. Barrymore had provided Stuart with swimming trunks. It is likely in my view that this was an immediate prelude to the subsequent rape of Stuart. I put the time of his murder likely around 4am. The 6 liars who covered this up didn't 'phone the Ambulance Service until 5.46am.

It is certainly possible (though in my view unlikely) that Barrymore was not present during the rape which killed Stuart.

However, it is certain that he lied through his teeth (along with 5 others) by helping to fake a drowning and lying to police about what really happened.

I'm happy to try and answer any questions forum members may have about this gruesome murder.
How would you rate the chances of this case being re-opened?

How would you rate the chances of this case being re-opened?
Zero, because there is no evidence.
The reason MB couldn't be found not guilty when he wanted a compensation was the same reason that he couldn't be prosecuted, evidence works both ways. Either not taken at the time or no longer available. Case closed.
Was he guilty? That's not the point, "Insufficient evidence to bring about the likelihood of a prosecution", I still remember the discussion.

Last edited:

I haven't read your book but was involved with the case at the time.
To say that Stuart was 'raped to death' is totally wrong, as is the assertion that it would have taken more than one person.
There were errors in the case but you have no foundation to make those assertions.

Quo_vadis

Clanker
The pathologists and experts who examined Lubbock said the injuries must have been caused by a fist or an object as large as a fist, and at the post-mortem the aperture of his anus was described being "bigger than an orange", the severity of his injuries being very possibly/likely to bring on a heart attack..
Would a pathologist really use language like "bigger than an orange” in a highly technical medical document like a post-mortem report? This seems typical of the media hype and misrepresentation of the case, which started on day one.

I’m not familiar with, nor do I have any particular interest in, the minutiae of the case, but I do know that the narrative which goes, “Straight and respectable father of two, plied with drink and drugs, then raped to death by gay entertainer and friends” is always going to make better headlines and sell more papers and books (or these days, get more clicks) than “Closeted gay man, out of his head after taking drink and drugs, accidentally drowns in gay entertainer’s pool after rough group sex”.

Last edited: