Not another Gurkha Hunger Strike

31 years and no tours? A freebee medal and we don't charge Gurkhas medal without a bar?

Sometimes it's possible even to be awarded medals long after retirement !

.............Hunger Striker to the death Gyan Raj Rai 2013................. Hunger Striker to the death Gyan Raj Rai 2021
lumleyRai.png

St Joanna:....."Gyanraj, my gallant warrior, I see you have been awarded another two medals since your last .........................hunger strike to the death; in addition to your one for fighting for this county"
GRR:..............."Yes, Joanna my Goddess, on the left of my LSGC is the Weight Watchers 'Slimmer of the Year' ..........................medal and on the right is the Bobby Sands Commemorative Medal."

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer

bob231

War Hero
If HMG roll over without including the pre 1975ers or the frozen pensioners abroad who have been similarly porked & many of whom are veterans we can fully expect both groups to sue on the grounds of equality and blatant discrimination.
Hopefully HMG have been advised of this. Hopefully!

I'd hazard a guess that the first thing HMG will roll over on among the long list of demands, will be the demand for granting of no-cost citizenship with no English language test for those who have been granted right to stay in UK
No Nepalese will surrender Nepal citizenship and Nepal does not allow dual nationality
However. the observing of such legal niceties is not high priority in Nepal

But UK-based former Gurkha soldiers are badgering the Nepal Government for create a special category for them, that of NRN (Non Resident Nepalese)

Surprisingly, British Citizenship conveys little benefit on those entitled to stay -
  • Right to (legitimately) vote in General elections for those not otherwise entitled,
  • Prevents loss of settlement status for those who have long stays in Nepal.
  • Facilitates the immigration of relatives.

Hard to think why they should want it so keenly ,,,, Oh wait a minute !

I wonder what State Pension they and their wives will get ?
Most are already getting it in the form of Pension Credit and Local Authority Housing Benefit.

In fact, DWP has had to issue warnings to the Gurkhas that many elderly ones are returning to Nepal, job done, and forgetting to inform DWP that they no longer qualify for these payments

""Though some older retired Gurkhas might struggle to adapt, they have an incentive to come to Britain. They are entitled to the same benefits as the country’s citizens, including housing benefit, pension credits and access to the National Health Service, which they would not receive in Nepal.""
Source Lost Generation

(I don't buy into "Life is different for the elderly, he said, many of whom would rather go back to Nepal if they had better pensions which would afford them a good quality of life there." bit- even ex-Gurkha soldiers who never qualified for a pension get a Welfare Pension from Gurkha Welfare Trust of almost £100 a month, 'sufficient to buy food and a few luxuries a month)

bob231

War Hero
(I don't buy into "Life is different for the elderly, he said, many of whom would rather go back to Nepal if they had better pensions which would afford them a good quality of life there." bit- even ex-Gurkha soldiers who never qualified for a pension get a Welfare Pension from Gurkha Welfare Trust of almost £100 a month, 'sufficient to buy food and a few luxuries a month)
Nepal is a unique posting - AFAIK - in that you do not pay rent, but you are expected to hire staff to provide to the local economy. Ours (when my Dad was out there in 2005 or so) were paid ~£40 per month, which was considered a very competitive wage.

Well, they will certainly have plenty of points to discuss at the meeting next month.

Ex-hunger Striker Rai::,,,"I've got a little list"
Minister:,,,,,,,,:,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,"I'm not surprised. Cramp, I expect.

The idea that the hunger strikers might be being sustained with covert eating overnight originally came from MOD police at the time of the first fast-unto-death.

According to references about hunger strikes, after two weeks strikers would be showing dis-orientation, lethargy and other observable symptoms.

Now 36 hours after they ended the strike, no word of even check-ups from these normally publicity-hunger strike supporters. Despite Covid, I would have expected at least a day or two hospitalisation for elder persons who had not had a morsel pass their lips for a fortnight. Yet they just appear to have just been driven home.
True, one of them was taken to hospital for a suspected heart attack but he was discharged pretty rapidly with a slow heart beat (Bradycardia) which many people have -my own pulse hovers around 50, often setting the alarm off when being monitored)
The photos below show an amazing recovery from their comatose appearance once Endex was announced.

Before, I just thought it was just a possibility that they were being fed overnight and that it had little relevance in the whole scheme of things.
Now I believe that there is a great likelihood that they were and that once again, a gullible nation has been hoodwinked.

Endex1.png
the
Endex2.png

Well it seems HMG & MOD blinked first.

Wednesday 8th Sept 2021
<<
London:
A preliminary meeting was held on Wednesday on the initiative of the British government in an effort to address the demands of ex-Gurkhas, including** equal pension pay.

The meeting took place among Defense Minister of the United Kingdom, Ben Wallace and Minister of State for defense Leo Docherty, Nepali Ambassador to the UK, Lokdarshan Regmi and representatives of the Ex-Gurkha Organization at the London-based Nepali Embassy.

According to the Nepali Embassy, the meeting discussed the matter related to the formation of a committee for dialogue between the Nepal government with representatives of ex-Gurkha and the UK government to be initiated from coming December as per the previous agreement to address the demands of ex-Gurkhas demands. It also dwelt on other necessary preparation, including the conditions of the dialogue committee.

Also present in the meeting were the chief coordinator of Gorkha Satyagraha Struggle Committee, Krishna Bahadur Rai, GAESO Chair Krishna Kuamr Rai, BGWS Chair Tikendra Dal Dewan, NESA Chairperson Kesh Bahadur Gurung, Gorkha Pension Injustice group Chair Udaya Bahadur Gurung, Ram Rai, hunger strikers trio, Gyanraj Rai, Pushpa Rana Ghale and Dhan Bahadur Gurung, Gorkhas Satyagraha Spokesperson Judda Bahadur Gurung and Roshan Khanal of Nepali Embassy and Military Attache Ratna Bahadur Godar.

It may be noted that the British government had pledged to initiate dialogue with the Government of Nepal and Gurkhas in order to address the demands. With this assurance last month, the agitating ex-Gurkhas had ended their fast-unto-death.

It was agreed to convene the first meeting on September 8 as part of the preparation for dialogue within December. –
>>
Link "206 Years of Discrimination for 206 Years of Loyalty" (placard)
**(My bold) It begs the question, why are these normally publicity-mad Gurkhas being so cagey about the 'other' demands?
Are they trying to avoid the 'C' -(compensation) word for a myriad of perceived historical discrimination slights which might not resonate so well as pensions with the British public?

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
Well it seems HMG & MOD blinked first.

Wednesday 8th Sept 2021
<<
London:
A preliminary meeting was held on Wednesday on the initiative of the British government in an effort to address the demands of ex-Gurkhas, including** equal pension pay.

The meeting took place among Defense Minister of the United Kingdom, Ben Wallace and Minister of State for defense Leo Docherty, Nepali Ambassador to the UK, Lokdarshan Regmi and representatives of the Ex-Gurkha Organization at the London-based Nepali Embassy.

According to the Nepali Embassy, the meeting discussed the matter related to the formation of a committee for dialogue between the Nepal government with representatives of ex-Gurkha and the UK government to be initiated from coming December as per the previous agreement to address the demands of ex-Gurkhas demands. It also dwelt on other necessary preparation, including the conditions of the dialogue committee.

Also present in the meeting were the chief coordinator of Gorkha Satyagraha Struggle Committee, Krishna Bahadur Rai, GAESO Chair Krishna Kuamr Rai, BGWS Chair Tikendra Dal Dewan, NESA Chairperson Kesh Bahadur Gurung, Gorkha Pension Injustice group Chair Udaya Bahadur Gurung, Ram Rai, hunger strikers trio, Gyanraj Rai, Pushpa Rana Ghale and Dhan Bahadur Gurung, Gorkhas Satyagraha Spokesperson Judda Bahadur Gurung and Roshan Khanal of Nepali Embassy and Military Attache Ratna Bahadur Godar.

It may be noted that the British government had pledged to initiate dialogue with the Government of Nepal and Gurkhas in order to address the demands. With this assurance last month, the agitating ex-Gurkhas had ended their fast-unto-death.

It was agreed to convene the first meeting on September 8 as part of the preparation for dialogue within December. –
>>
Link "206 Years of Discrimination for 206 Years of Loyalty" (placard)
**(My bold) It begs the question, why are these normally publicity-mad Gurkhas being so cagey about the 'other' demands?
Are they trying to avoid the 'C' -(compensation) word for a myriad of perceived historical discrimination slights which might not resonate so well as pensions with the British public?
See post 162!