Not another Gurkha Hunger Strike

At the time of Lumleymania, the Gurkha Welfare Trust, being a non-political organisation, officially had to remain neutral. However, someone closely connected to GWT was able to put their side of the argument over in a letter to the times, I think it still makes interesting reading, clearly GWT was not a fan of St Joanna;

<<
Gurkha decision is bad for UK and Nepal

Sir,
Amid all the sentimentality surrounding the Gurkhas and their right to settle in this country, certain points appear to have been overlooked ("Gurkha veterans to be told they can settle in Britain", Times Online, May 21).
In 1947 a tripartite agreement was signed between Nepal, India and Great Britain concerning the recruitment, pay and pensions of Gurkhas. According to this agreement, Great Britain agreed to repatriate Gurkhas to Nepal on their reaching retirement. The reason for this was chiefly economic. Nepal agreed to allow her brightest and best to be recruited into a foreign army on the condition that Nepal reaped the benefit of money being sent home during a soldiers service and, equally importantly, the pension that the soldier would receive on retirement.
These men do not live in poverty on their return to their native land: their British army pensions make them extremely rich men, particularly in the hills, from where so many of them originally come. In the hills the houses of British ex-servicemen stand out from those who have never benefited from foreign service, often being the only homes to have running water and lavatories and they serve as a beacon of excellence to others.
In addition, the Gurkha Welfare Trust exists to assist ex-Gurkhas, their widows and dependants in times of hardship. Projects such as footpaths, bridges and water installation that benefit entire villages and communities are run by ex-Gurkhas. whose technical expertise is invaluable to those among whom they live.
If all retired Gurkhas settle in the United Kingdom there will be inevitable consequences. First, will the Gurkha Welfare Trust continue to attract the large charitable income that it now enjoys, and if not, what will happen to those too old or infirm to move here? Second, why should Nepal continue to allow recruitment of its brightest and fittest young men to a foreign army if it gains no financial benefit from so doing?
I fear that the greed of ex-Gurkhas, allied to the foolishness of Joanna Lumley and the sentimentality of the British public, may result in the death of the Brigade of Gurkhas, which has been of such value to both Britain and Nepal for more than 150 years.
LADY HUNT-DAVIS Warminster, Wilts
>>

I didnt notice that they have slipped in a reference to their relatives being in slavery in Saudi due to the nasty British

I didnt notice that they have slipped in a reference to their relatives being in slavery in Saudi due to the nasty British

I wonder if Roy Brinkley, (the instigator of the petition), really has fallen for the crap about poverty among Gurkhas in UK or whether he is deliberately lying knowing that it's untrue?
I guess he's not bothered either way- end justifying the means and all that.

It's the prospect of returning home with riches that draws these Gurkhas to the Middle East and just about everywhere else in the world.
If the Gurkhas are victims, it's at the hands of fellow Gurkhas, no one else and certainly not the British.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
As I said in a post (no 118 ) a couple of days ago stating that I couldn't wait to meet my bandwagon jumping mate in the pub. I walked in last night, said mong was in, I got a drink and he beckoned me over and started yabbering about the Gurkhas and their "plight" and asking if I was going on the march on 28th, after a few minutes of his yabbering, I told him I wasn't going on the march as it wasn't my problem and then spoonfed him a load of facts from here ref pensions, the Hawaiian saga and the fact that Brit veterans have to wait until 60 for their pensions and if they want parity they too should wait until then. His gast was well and truly flabbered, got called unpatriotic, uncaring and heartless to the plight of those who fought for this country. Once I explained the error of his ways stating that perhaps he could fight for the rights of all veterans to get their pension from day one of leaving and explained that perhaps he'd forgotten that I'd also fought for this country, I got up and walked away before I said something I'd regret and end a friendship of over 20 years.

Last edited:
I've now been banned from commenting on a FB page (BAOR Photos) for 3 weeks, after correcting video posts from 'Whitehall' and, objecting to "The Bravest of the Brave" trope. The amount of ex-squaddies who just trot out the crap and, are clueless about what is going on, is unbelievable !
You can't criticise the Gurkhas, they have created a myth about themselves , loads of gullible people that have never even served or seen a Gurkha will go spastic if you do.

Joker62

ADC
Book Reviewer
It seems that one of the hunger strikers, Dhan Gurung, has just been admitted to hospital after having a heart attack.

It seems that one of the hunger strikers, Dhan Gurung, has just been admitted to hospital after having a heart attack.
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it but have now. Up to now, the mainstream media seem to be ignoring it.

These guys are not potential martyrs, they have their fingers in too many financial and political pies for that.
It would be ironic if they were carried away by an indirect and unexpected cause, Its not advisable for the elderly to go on crash diets. The law of unintended consequences

That's of course assuming the illness is genuine and not part of plan B

Update from one of the Gurkha-Groupie sites :

Dhan.png

Last edited:
Thanks for that, I hadn't seen it but have now. Up to now, the mainstream media seem to be ignoring it.

These guys are not potential martyrs, they have their fingers in too many financial and political pies for that.
It would be ironic if they were carried away by an indirect and unexpected cause, Its not advisable for the elderly to go on crash diets. The law of unintended consequences

That's of course assuming the illness is genuine and not part of plan B
There were a group of Sri Lankan Tamils on hunger strike in central London a few years ago. Turns out that they were secretly getting food sent into them by supporters. They binned their hunger strike when they got caught for some strange reason.

There were a group of Sri Lankan Tamils on hunger strike in central London a few years ago. Turns out that they were secretly getting food sent into them by supporters. They binned their hunger strike when they got caught for some strange reason.
Yes, that was the suspicion from MOD police at the time of the last hunger strike.
Gyan Raj Rai made a surprisingly speedy recovery after that strike - just a quick medical check afterwards and there's no real confirmation that even that took place.
Joanna's peck on his cheek wouldn't account for it.

I had this letter sent to me on facebook, forwarded by a Justice for Northern Ireland Veterans FB group.

Dear all,
I feel it's worth giving a quick update the current ongoing horrendous situation of the Gurkha Hunger Strike fast unto death. The MOD has begun to spread inaccurate information through the some media to the general public stating that the Gurkhas are refusing to talk or enter into discussion with them. Let me clarify to you all the facts; our Gurkha Satyagraha stand has always been a request to the British and Nepal governments to come to sit at the table for dialogue to address our long-overdue issues immediately.
We are not interested in their manipulation and political spin on serious and unaddressed issues spanning the past 207 years. From this point onward no more tolerance anymore, we are asking for equal rights meaning to be no less, and the discontinuation of the racial discrimination of the Gurkha veterans.Unlike our hunger strike in 2013, this hunger strike will not cease nicely and easily. Unless we receive written formal evidence from both governments we will not be dissuaded from this strong course of action.
Our Gurkha Satyagraha Nepal team, all veterans and the general public are also applying pressure to the DUMP Nepalese government back in Nepal. They too will not accept to be given anymore awful excuses and false promises. On Saturday 14th August protest in Downing Street in support of the Gurkha rights and the hunger strikers was organised by British Veterans and the following day, Sunday 15th August 21, a further protest was organised by Gurkha Satyagraha.
On both days, the peaceful protests were a huge success with participation from veterans of all eras and services, they were joined by many members of the general public and countless activists. All having the wish to show their support and amplify the voices of our Gurkhas which have to so long been ignored.
The online petitions are over 70 thousand but we still need to be hit at least 100,000 at a minimum before it must be debated on the floor of the House of Parliament. Although close to 100,000 we must not slow down our great historical campaign to encourage more people to sign and to increase the knowledge of the hunger strike and the discrimination of the Gurkha veterans. We cannot allow the government any room to hide behind misinformation and excuses this time, we have been subjected to that tactics many time before.
Thank you is not enough to our diehard British veterans and the all general public that you stand as one with us. We hope this, your invaluable and kind support will remain open until we get an acceptable outcome from both governments. Please continue to lobby your Member of Parliament. Talk about the hunger strike with family, friends and colleagues. Share the details of the online petition.
Kind Regards,
Laxmi Ghising
Gurkha Satyagraha
United Struggle Committee
UK/ Nepal

I am a bit out of it here (especially as delta variant is really hitting the island hard) so I have no opinion and therefore no comments for or against

I had this letter sent to me on facebook, forwarded by a Justice for Northern Ireland Veterans FB group.

Dear all,
I feel it's worth giving a quick update the current ongoing horrendous situation of the Gurkha Hunger Strike fast unto death. The MOD has begun to spread inaccurate information through the some media to the general public stating that the Gurkhas are refusing to talk or enter into discussion with them. Let me clarify to you all the facts; our Gurkha Satyagraha stand has always been a request to the British and Nepal governments to come to sit at the table for dialogue to address our long-overdue issues immediately.
We are not interested in their manipulation and political spin on serious and unaddressed issues spanning the past 207 years. From this point onward no more tolerance anymore, we are asking for equal rights meaning to be no less, and the discontinuation of the racial discrimination of the Gurkha veterans.Unlike our hunger strike in 2013, this hunger strike will not cease nicely and easily. Unless we receive written formal evidence from both governments we will not be dissuaded from this strong course of action.
Our Gurkha Satyagraha Nepal team, all veterans and the general public are also applying pressure to the DUMP Nepalese government back in Nepal. They too will not accept to be given anymore awful excuses and false promises. On Saturday 14th August protest in Downing Street in support of the Gurkha rights and the hunger strikers was organised by British Veterans and the following day, Sunday 15th August 21, a further protest was organised by Gurkha Satyagraha.
On both days, the peaceful protests were a huge success with participation from veterans of all eras and services, they were joined by many members of the general public and countless activists. All having the wish to show their support and amplify the voices of our Gurkhas which have to so long been ignored.
The online petitions are over 70 thousand but we still need to be hit at least 100,000 at a minimum before it must be debated on the floor of the House of Parliament. Although close to 100,000 we must not slow down our great historical campaign to encourage more people to sign and to increase the knowledge of the hunger strike and the discrimination of the Gurkha veterans. We cannot allow the government any room to hide behind misinformation and excuses this time, we have been subjected to that tactics many time before.
Thank you is not enough to our diehard British veterans and the all general public that you stand as one with us. We hope this, your invaluable and kind support will remain open until we get an acceptable outcome from both governments. Please continue to lobby your Member of Parliament. Talk about the hunger strike with family, friends and colleagues. Share the details of the online petition.
Kind Regards,
Laxmi Ghising
Gurkha Satyagraha
United Struggle Committee
UK/ Nepal

I am a bit out of it here (especially as delta variant is really hitting the island hard) so I have no opinion and therefore no comments for or against
Strange that the European Court of Human Rights,strongly refuted any racism in their petition.

There are people who believe this crap,because they're too lazy to investigate these claims themselves and take them at face value, Gurkhas never lie ?

Our serial hunger striker Gyan Raj Rai
tends to forget this (below) when whinging about pension poverty.

Probably because it still doesn't make him as rich as he wants to be.
This is HMG quietly caving in to the last hunger strike.
<<
7th March 2019
Gurkha pensioners will receive a total of £46m extra this financial year (Picture: MOD).
Veterans from the Brigade of Gurkhas are to receive a £15 million increase to their pensions overall.
All former personnel who joined prior to 2007 will get the increase, which is the equivalent to 2.2 billion Nepali Rupees.
The change was confirmed by Armed Forces Minister Mark Lancaster and will affect 22,000 Gurkha veterans and their families.
Veterans could receive up to 34% more in their pensions, with the increases being backdated to 1 January 2016 and means Gurkha pensioners will receive a total of £46m (6.7bn Nepali Rupees) extra this financial year.
>>
(my bold)
Link: Gurkha Pensioners get Massive uplift- still not satisfied

Danegeld - Rudyard Kipling
IT IS always a temptation to an armed and agile nation
To call upon a neighbour and to say: –
"We invaded you last night – we are quite prepared to fight,
Unless you pay us cash to go away."

And that is called asking for Dane-geld,
And the people who ask it explain
That you've only to pay 'em the Dane-geld
And then you'll get rid of the Dane!

It is always a temptation for a rich and lazy nation,
To puff and look important and to say: –
"Though we know we should defeat you,
we have not the time to meet you.
We will therefore pay you cash to go away."

And that is called paying the Dane-geld;
But we've proved it again and again,
That if once you have paid him the Dane-geld
You never get rid of the Dane.

It is wrong to put temptation in the path of any nation,
For fear they should succumb and go astray;
So when you are requested to pay up or be molested,
You will find it better policy to say: --

"We never pay any-one Dane-geld,
No matter how trifling the cost;
For the end of that game is oppression and shame,
And the nation that plays it is lost!"

There are people who believe this crap,because they're too lazy to investigate these claims themselves and take them at face value, Gurkhas never lie ?
Well, hardly ever !

Dewar.png

That's awful ! 19 years service without a pension?
However the judgement of the failed ECHR case tells it a bit different;
<<
Principal facts
The applicants in this case are: the British Gurkha Welfare Society, a non-governmental
unincorporated association which acts on behalf of 399 Gurkha veterans; and two retired Gurkha
soldiers, namely Tikendra Dewan, a joint Nepalese and British national born in 1953, and Subarna
Adhikari, a Nepalese national born in 1960.....
..... Complaint concerning discrimination on grounds of nationality
First, the Court found that Gurkha soldiers had undoubtedly been treated differently from other
soldiers in the British Army as concerned their entitlement to a pension since, prior to 1997, they
had been governed by a different pension scheme from other soldiers in the British Army, with
different terms and conditions. In addition, for those eligible for transfer to the AFPS, only accrued
rights to a pension for years of service after 1 July 1997 had been transferred on a year-for-year
basis, while accrued rights in respect of years of service prior to that date had been transferred at
actuarial value (approximately 23 to 36 percent of the value of a year’s service of a non-Gurkha
soldier of equivalent rank).
>>

(my italics)
So as I read it, getting 23-36% accrued rights of a British Army pension for 19 years is not ideal if you believe in retrospective adjustments to a pension for moving country of domicile but it is not the same as getting no pension at all.

Sky are running a ticker saying that the strike has been called off after Def Sec Ben Wallace has agreed to talk to the strikers. I can't find anything on the Beeb.

Sky are running a ticker saying that the strike has been called off after Def Sec Ben Wallace has agreed to talk to the strikers. I can't find anything on the Beeb.
Mr Wallace says do one or I will bin you mercenaries, see how good life becomes in Nepal.

Latest Threads