Not another Gurkha Hunger Strike

I think the only thing keeping the Gurkhas going is the battalion in Brunei paid for by the Sultan. Twenty four years after the handover of Hong Kong and 73 years after they became part of the British Army it is time to let them go. They are probably more expensive than British soldiers now and we are restricted in a lot of scenarios where we can use them. It would be an ideal time with these latest Defence cuts. We seem to be able to recruit all the soldiers we want from the Commonwealth when we need them anyway.
I guess part of the answer must be that it's harder to get rid of them, than just to keep them.

I don't know how yet but I'm pretty sure somehow it will be racist to disband them. Lumley will have a full on meltdown and Lammy will declare the Gurkhas won WW2 while fighting in the Amazon jungle.

I heard a rumour that they weren't trained in NBC or whatever it's called these days , and respirators were only used if CS was being chucked around in a Hong Kong riot.
Any truth or is it the usual bowlocks.
Dunno bout that, but I do recall being told they weren't allowed/trusted to POL their vehicles.

This was at Sennybridge where one young gurkhette was stood by looking very untypical of their lineage* while two full screws fuelled his 'rover.

*He was quite tall, skinny with a long neck and looked like a nerdy teenager.

I don't know how yet but I'm pretty sure somehow it will be racist to disband them. Lumley will have a full on meltdown and Lammy will declare the Gurkhas won WW2 while fighting in the Amazon jungle.
Prepare for articles with titles like:
"The Untold Story of the British Army's Unsung Elite Soldiers. - We break the silence around this hidden units history."

I'm only having egg, bacon, sausage, fried bread, black pudding, mushrooms, beans, hash browns, tea, fresh orange juice, toast and marmalade for breakfast tomorrow, I'm leaving the tomato out as a brave gesture of solidarity for their cause ✊

That's the thing about outrage buses, you wait for ages then two come along together.

Iranian fasters on the left, Gurkha fasters on the right;

GurkhaIranianStrike.png

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer

Amazon prime?

Was a pension included in the contract they signed ?
If not, sorry you should have read the T&C's.
Fantastic soldiers though.

Well, the strike has gone into full mode. It must be annoying to see the main-stream media ignoring the Gurkha's press releases this time around.

What the strikers fail to mention is that a hike in pensions is only one of a set of a 12 point demand being presented to HMG, the likely reasons that the other demands are being glossed over is because the pension issue is the more emotive one to the general public who take the hype at face value.

The other demands include; No upper age limit on dependents being allowed to settle UK ( the govt has already made a concession once on this, raising the age of dependents from 18 to 30), right through to compensation for various historic issues.

No one's going to die, there's no need to, the previous hunger strike quietly got results.

There will be a 'Plan B' I've a feeling that Lumley may be 'unavailable' this time around but Kay Burley seems to be the highest ranking celeb who has fallen for the hype according to her twitter posts, (clearly without doing any homework ) so we may get some sort of intervention from her or some sympathetic MP.

I can't help feeling the striking Gurkhas are divorced from reality, one of their leaders is on a newsreel stating;

"" It's not very rosey in this country, you know. As you step right foot out of the front door, you have to pay the tax, and. we have to work to pay if you buy a house you got a loan through your life""
(link Equal Pensions for Gurkhas)

Whatever the outcome of this episode the demands will continue. Perhaps Kipling got it right when he wrote words to the effect of :
"For once you have paid Dane-geld, you'll never get rid of the Dane"