Not an Evil Empire.

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by hansvonhealing, Jun 18, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. At last, someone stands up for the British Empire.
    We've had to get used to sneering comments of how 'brutal' and 'inhumane' we were to the poor inhabitants of the 'oppressed' lands which made it up. Now, in an article in the Sunday Times, Lawrence James writes a spirited defence....

''Empires of one sort or another have been a constant of history. They grow, wither and leave their legacies. I believe that on balance the British empire was a force for good and should be a source of national pride. It provided an interlude of stability in which countries divided by race and religion could develop and, in the case of India, discover a national identity.

Alongside railways, schools, universities, hospitals and sanitation projects, the empire introduced political and social ideas dear to the British. These included extending civil rights to women, a free press and, most important of all, a culture of popular consent and reasoned debate. English spread as the language of learning, law and commerce.''

Full article:- http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,2092-2230453,00.html

What is your opinion?

2. I would have to go with Churchill on this one when asked about the legacy of the British Empire

“While it can not be said that it was always good, It was undoubtedly great”

3. It may seem bad by current standards but I often wonder if that's very fair. Perhaps by future standards our societies will be judged as abysmal.

4. And, for those of you who want the latest updates:

Empire News

Quack

5. The British Empire was made Great by the Nation that started it, Britian. All those countries that were honoured to be part of it won in the lottery of life. If they hadn't been where would they be now?

Well apart from Africa, the French mucked that continent up anyway.

6. I should have recalled the fact yesterday that the British Empire almost singlehandedly wiped slavery from the face of the earth. Far from evil, that is one of the most admirable endeavors in the history of mankind.

7. IMHO If the Commonwealth and Europe had continued with Victorian values to this very day, had expanded and not been crushed by two world wars and now Central European Govt. we would all be thinking along the lines of Lawrence James. Bit it has not. It's now one big mucky pool of deceit and we are now being blamed for it. We're the poor cousin aren't we?

8. IMHO If the Commonwealth and Europe had continued with Victorian values to this very day, had expanded and not been crushed by two world wars and now Central European Govt. we would all be thinking along the lines of Lawrence James. Bit it has not. It's now one big mucky pool of deceit and we are now being blamed for it. We're the poor cousin aren't we?

9. IMHO If the Commonwealth and Europe had continued with Victorian values to this very day, had expanded and not been crushed by two world wars and now Central European Govt. we would all be thinking along the lines of Lawrence James. Bit it has not. It's now one big mucky pool of deceit and we are now being blamed for it. We're the poor cousin aren't we?

10. ^We heard you the first time...

11. Sorry, like me my PCs a bit slow. Anyone else have further input re. what I said and what James Lawrence wrote re. Not an 'Evil Empire'?

12. On balance, although not held together by daisy chains, the Empire was more a force for good than bad in the World. A good overview is provided by Niall Ferguson's "Empire", 2003 (Penguin pb 2004), ISBN 0-141-00754-0.

Most impressive, however, was the relative speed,efficiency, good grace & civility with which the whole vast & complex imperial system was dissolved in the two decades post WW2 - not wholly a matter of economic necessity! This contrasts markedly with the conduct of other imperial powers during the same period, notably the French. And yet we're the ones continually criticised for not getting over our imperial past!

When I was born (1960) my Father was away engaged in one of the many "savage wars of peace" characteristic of the decolonisation era: to his dying day he corresponded regularly with a number of his former troops in the ex-colony, and time after time all of them lamented the end of British rule, wanted us back, hated/ feared the present regime etc. Many of them still contact me regularly today, usually on the anniversary of his death. Speaks volumes, I feel.

13. If the experience of British colonisation was so bad you have to ask why so many former colonies have voluntarily kept up their association with Britain and each other through the Commonwealth (alas no longer officially the BRITISH Commonwealth). Indeed, didn Mozambique joined at their request despite NOT having been colonised by the Brits (Britain 1 Portugal 0).

14. Isn't there a rumour at the moment that we have now got more civil servants "administering" the NHS than we used to have in the whole of India?