Not a UK citizen....its OK, no problem, you can still vote!

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Banker, Apr 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It seems that citizens of the 53 other commonwealth countries can vote in the forthcoming election so long as they're resident and have leave to remain. See

So, you don't even need to be a UK citizen to vote. I know first hand that this isn't a reciprocal arrangement. Fcuking disgrace if you ask me............this makes my blood boil and compared to most on this forum I'm a bleeding leftie.......... :evil:
  2. If they are Commonwealth citizens who have chosen to live in the UK and they are officially resident then why on earth should they not be allowed to vote?
  3. mysteron

mysteron LE Book Reviewer

If they pay some UK Taxes (like many middle class parents do when they retire to Australia for example) then they can retain the right to vote.

You pay for your vote - you get to vote.
  4. Your implication is that they started as UK CITIZENS before moving to Australia. In that case, yes, they should absolutely be allowed to vote.

If they're Australian citizens living in the UK, then they should NOT be allowed to vote unless they hold dual citizenship.

As a commonwealth (UK) citizen, with full leave to remain in Australia, but NOT an Australian citizen at the time........I was NOT allowed to vote in Australia.

That's my problem with this.
  5. Two reasons:

One, they're NOT UK CITIZENS; and

Two, the rules aren't reciprocal in other commonwealth countries.

Residence and citizenship are two VERY different things.
  6. Commonwealth, resident and leave to remain? and I presume therefore economically active? I'd trust them with a vote far more readily than the extended mrs, mr, mr, mr and mr untermensch extended-child-benefits-factory-family who are UK citizens and not actively supporting society.
  7. Wasn't there a German recently standing for Westminster on the basis of residence. Didn't have British nationality, but could stand as it would be illegal not to allow an EU citizen to do so?
  8. Cutaway

Cutaway LE Reviewer

It used to be so in South Africa, oddly enough before the RSA was permitted to return to the Commonwealth.

These days of course only registered members of the ANC may vote, plus a handful of others.
  9. I concur. Surely during purdah, the official outrage bus can't be used for electioneering?
  10. You're stretching credulity a bit far there...........look at the list of countries.
  11. For national office?

Don't think so somehow. Unless they have changed the law very recently.
    You can stand for local/county elections and vote if you are an EU citizen with residency but not for national stuff.
  12. I personally know of people who are on the electorial roll and are not qualified to be on it, even with the changes brought in by more recent amendments. I believe it is quite widespread.

Happens for two reasons, one is they don't read the (not so small ) print on the forms and stick their names on anyway when the form comes through the letter-box.

Secondly, it gives a form of legitimacy if you lack it, enables to to get credit checked and so on, if your name is on the electoral roll.

There appears to be little checking done by the local authority who compile the lists.

Apart from facilitating fraud, it has an another, equally perturbing side to it.

Jurors are picked from the electoral roll and from what I've seen from my stint as an Outer London juror, it results in a number of people being called for jury service who have little comprehension of English; not a good thing for a juror, understanding neither the interchanges in court or the requirement for impartiality of the jury.
  13. Sorry, you missed my point. I merely asked why a person who is a commonwealth citizen and who officially lives in the UK should not be allowed to vote for a future government. I was not comparing the UK with the wider commonwealth and their rules nor was I misunderstanding the status of resident/citizen.
  14. Why should non uk citizens be eligible to vote? Or are you saying that all tax paying residents should be allowed to vote?

I am not against the idea of anyone who pays tax gets to vote so long as those that don't pay are likewise refused the vote.
  15. You raise an interesting point. I always thought you had to register on the electoral roll because that was how Council Tax was worked out.
    I'm of the opinion that if you're working here and paying your taxes here then should should have the right to a say in who governs you unless you retain the right to vote in your country of origin in which case you should be allowed to vote in one country only.