NOT a real ale thread

As the title says!
But out of interest what beer was you weaned on? with the array of local beers in the UK ,what did you drink and what do you miss?
none of of that german stuff if you don't mind ..I was never a lager drinker myself, as a callow youth I started on a local beer called webbs(long gone) and when I travelled to london on the pullman I asked for "worthington E hoping it would make me look flash, worst stuff I ever tried was a drink in portsmouth called "gales mild" utter donkey piss.

In my yoof it was Newcastle exhibition. Funnily enough , the worst ever was pompey real ale , in some shit hole near Fratton park.

Didn't mind that myself Jarrod when I passed your neck of the woods,I also liked watneys red barrel and tartan ,the early keg beers. I also liked some of the london stuff.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Hold on I've just remembered first time I got pissed I was about 4, was my oldest brothers wedding, the reception had a lady with trays of sherry, seemed rather sweet and tasty, so I had loads of it. Don't recall much about the evening.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Didn't mind that myself Jarrod when I passed your neck of the woods,I also liked watneys red barrel and tartan ,the early keg beers. I also liked some of the london stuff.
Isn't Watneys Red Barrel a thing from the other side of the hills? Seem to remember drinking that in blackpool.

llech

LE
Wrexham lager, the sight of the fat cnuts waddling from the Bass brewery depot was enough to put me off mild and bitter.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Dortmunder Ritter Pils - again a Pads brat.

Exhibition, Strongarm, Old Peculier, Tetley's Mild, Wards, Banks' Mild, Stones, Newcastle Brown, Vaux, Kronenbourg. Cans of red. Cans of green.

And in the next pub...

llech

LE
Having a drinking contest klecking pints of Diamond White and swamipng the bed, was a right of passage,good times!

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
At University, it was cans of McEwan's Export.

jarrod248

LE
Gallery Guru
Having a drinking contest klecking pints of Diamond White and swamipng the bed, was a right of passage,good times!
I did a bottle od Calvados, some San Miguel while my parents were on holiday, my brother was on nights. I'd eaten garlic mushrooms and a pizza, he came in from work, smelled all the puke, looked in my bedroom, issued a bollocking and went to bed. I couldn't find a patch of carpet to stand on that didn't have puke on.

Elindio

Old-Salt
Red barrel aka Party 7?
70s 2.jpg

I hope nobody minds if I slip in this tale?
we used to have a lad who was blessed with the downs come into the workmans club(highly popular the wee lad was) and it was on the strict understanding from his parents that his pints were98% lemonade and 2% beer to colour it.
anyway after a successful local rugby match a tray full of whiskies was bought and one of the lads said to the downie"hold this a minute while I go for apiss. on his return the said downie had fukcing necked the lot :) paramedics had to come to the pub ,I can assure you there was fucikg murder on that night, still makes me laugh though.

Theakstons Old Peculiar is a nice beer.

...when drawn from a wooden barrel resting on top of the bar. mushroom may recall one at the Feversham Arms in Farndale. I was surprised to find that they still exist - Green Dragon in Hardraw. I'll be going back there but I'll take a tent next time.

Latest Threads