Not a good week for Generals of the Modern British Army

Given all the knowing nods and self satisfied grins surrounding Maj Gen Jones' downfall, which VSO, cast in the same Jones mould, would you like to see follow him down the path to career ruin?

And Monty was damn closed to being sacked himself...
Indeed, but luckily his carefully crafted cult of personality meant that he was almost invulnerable. Hitler used to sack and rehire with gusto - Von Rundstedt and Guderian being examples of those who avoided being 'disappeared'...

I agree fully, I suspect that the issue is that great leaders (of which the Army has many) do not progress as well as their more 'politically astute' brother officers.
It is the same in many environments, the best salesman/ mechanic or whatever rarely gets promoted to run the office/ workshop. Such a promotion requires totally different skillsets.

I suspect it's a mix of 2 factors.

The very best leave early as they quickly realise the offer is, in reality, utter dog shit. The best leave shortly after they realise that most of the senior officers above them are generally utter **** and addicted to pointless shows of nugatory make work, have completely brown noses and are totally gutless when it comes to protecting the troops from shit.

What's left of the best leave when they get repeatedly passed over for morons who look good, sound good and are the right sort of chap. Not helped by what repeatedly appears to be 19th Century attitudes towards selecting future leaders at the higher end of the officer corp.

To be frank, I suspect we couldn't do any worse if we went back to officers buying their commissions instead of the army pretending it engages in meaningful training.

Comment to assembled Bde Staff Officers at the end of TELIC 6: "This operation has only been a success due to the amount of hard work I have put in"
Shocking.

As we all know, it should have been "This operation has only been a success OWING to the amount of hard work I have put in."

I suspect it's a mix of 2 factors.

The very best leave early as they quickly realise the offer is, in reality, utter dog shit. The best leave shortly after they realise that most of the senior officers above them are generally utter **** and addicted to pointless shows of nugatory make work, have completely brown noses and are totally gutless when it comes to protecting the troops from shit.

What's left of the best leave when they get repeatedly passed over for morons who look good, sound good and are the right sort of chap. Not helped by what repeatedly appears to be 19th Century attitudes towards selecting future leaders at the higher end of the officer corp.

To be frank, I suspect we couldn't do any worse if we went back to officers buying their commissions instead of the army pretending it engages in meaningful training.
I suspect that your view gets currency mainly because it's the knobs like Cowan and Jones that get the column inches. There's no publicity in being a good senior officer - and there are a lot out there.

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
I've always found interesting that 'Bomber' Harris, who had scant respect for his immediate superiors - and even argued the toss with Portal over the direction of the strategic bombing campaign from time to time - took strategic direction from Ike (exercised through Tedder) without a murmur - and considered him an able commander - not an opinion shared by Alanbrooke....

Wordsmith

So what we’re saying is that Generals (and Admirals and Air Chief Marshals) are human too?

I suspect that your view gets currency mainly because it's the knobs like Cowan and Jones that get the column inches. There's no publicity in being a good senior officer - and there are a lot out there.

I suspect the correct word is adequate.

As I'm reasonably confident that the marginal successes we've managed to achieve in not having an absolute disaster in Iraq & Afghanistan have been more to do with the capability at the Company Minus level to make it work. Some of the Company + planning was frankly delusional. Trying to engage hostile forces wearing flip flops and dish-dashs whilst we're carrying everything and a kitchen sink was the height of insanity...

I suspect the correct word is adequate.

Trying to engage hostile forces wearing flip flops and dish-dashs whilst we're carrying everything and a kitchen sink was the height of insanity...
This thread could really drift!

And Monty was damn closed to being sacked himself...
Abrasive"

1. Direct and decisive
2. Speaks truth to power.
3. Rude aggressive bastard without justification
The reasons Monty was close to being sacked was not because he was incompetent, but he thought that Eisenhower was wrong on the 'Broad Front' strategy after the Normandy campaign, due to lack of supplies, especially fuel, and his idea for a single strongly supported thrust was the right one.

In expressing this opinion to Eisenhower, as far as being abrasive, Monty was applying 1 and 2 above and some of 3.

Also Tedder hated Monty with a passion and was angling to get him sacked.

The reasons Monty was close to being sacked was not because he was incompetent, but he thought that Eisenhower was wrong on the 'Broad Front' strategy after the Normandy campaign, due to lack of supplies, especially fuel, and his idea for a single strongly supported thrust was the right one.

In expressing this opinion to Eisenhower, as far as being abrasive, Monty was applying 1 and 2 above and some of 3.

Also Tedder hated Monty with a passion and was angling to get him sacked.
I'm pretty sure the stiff-necked Ulsterman (Brooke) wasn't Monty's biggest fan.

ATG
You have just made an old looking man very happy, consider yourself the recipient of a large (virtual) Tanqueray 10 & tonic shippers.

www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8610069/amp/Army-probes-career-ending-bullying-claims-against-Falklands-heros-son.html

Schadenfreude, karma, pure delight all rolled into one, and it’s not even 0800hrs yet.
No wonder the General Public take the p*ss out of senior army officers and their (soon to be ex) wives with names like Rupert and Lucianda. If you used them as characters in a novel people would say that they are too much of a stereotype

Bad form to quote oneself, however...

a wiki deep enquiry into hte 14th Army in WW2 has most of the GOCs/Corps Cdrs and Army Cdrs as at least Brig by 1939. Of course all of them had served in WW1 as Junior Officers.

However, more than one of those “fighting Generals” was sacked for being shit.
A good example of that must be Brigadier Jackie Smyth VC who was sacked after the disaster at Sittang River in early 1942 when he prematurely ordered the bridge to be blow, trapping most of 17th Indian Division on the enemy side. What is incomprehensible is that the chap was apparently a first class cricketeer.

Sir John Smyth VC

Latest Threads