Not a good week for Generals of the Modern British Army

A senior Army commander was on Wednesday night under investigation over claims he broke lockdown to see his lover.

Married father-of-three Major General Rupert Jones, the son of a Falklands war hero, was in charge of the UK military's response to the coronavirus pandemic abroad.

Maj Gen Jones, 51, has admitted having an affair with a married woman and has now left his wife of 23 years, Lucinda

Archie

Career firing, career firing, career stops.

I can hear the cries of "Oh dear, how sad, never mind." from those who have worked under this self publicising bell end.

Not the type of Senior Officer the Army needs at this time.

A senior Army commander was on Wednesday night under investigation over claims he broke lockdown to see his lover.

Married father-of-three Major General Rupert Jones, the son of a Falklands war hero, was in charge of the UK military's response to the coronavirus pandemic abroad.

Maj Gen Jones, 51, has admitted having an affair with a married woman and has now left his wife of 23 years, Lucinda

Archie
How stereotypical , does he have a golden lab or retriever as well

Archie

He would be known as 'R' Jones, Shirley? Family traditions and all that . . .

Career firing, career firing, career stops.

I can hear the cries of "Oh dear, how sad, never mind." from those who have worked under this self publicising bell end.

Not the type of Senior Officer the Army needs at this time.
There’s a common thread but I can’t quite put my finger on it...... let me think..... ‘self publicising’, arrogance, narcissistic tendencies...

Bingo - got it!

84612600-CF8C-498C-9D77-0C72BE4CD6B1.jpeg

Truxx

LE
The CEA thread, and this one, have got me thinking.

There is no doubt that there are some self-serving c0cks out there. And I think the situation is a lot worse now than it was (although the British Army has a long tradition of c0ckwombling, especially when it came to senior officers getting laid) But I am also in no doubt that it happened on my watch. During my time, imperceptibly perhaps, things slipped and because I was eventually setting the pace, as it were, perhaps I should have done more.

Most of those in lofty ranks were SO2s when I was more senior, it therefore follows that myself, and others of my vintage, should have been doing more.

I think though, that the moment the army was obliged to start talking about "values and standards" as a thing then the battle was lost

When I assumed command of a regiment in the 1990s I was astonished ( and a bit uncomfortable) when my predecessor outlined how a small proportion of his officers were, bluntly, selfish tits who did the bare minimum in terms of leadership and putting the team first, and were there for the good and benefit of the individual officer full stop. He also bemoaned the fact that there seemed to be fcuck all he could do about it, the system was simply stacked against him.

What a load of rubbish I thought. I will soon crack that sort of thing. Nearly 3 years later I was saying exactly the same thing to my successor. The attitudinal change in how officers in particular look at things is extraordinary. It is no surprise to me whatsoever that events such as this, and the CEA thing are now de rigueur.

Sorry about that, I should have done more.

CrazyLegs!

War Hero
Not your fault truxx, that sort of change can only come from the very top. There are long-standing, glaring issues with the Army that span generations and have never been dealt with. Just look at the culture at APC. It will never change.

I think though, that the moment the army was obliged to start talking about "values and standards" as a thing then the battle was lost.
He certainly owes the army 30 hours of pay for the MATTs lessons he failed to pay attention to during his career...

Latest Threads