Not a good week for Boeing

Prediction for the year ahead.....

MAX will get a fast track recertification.

US Gov will announce a big multi year defence contract to underwrite Boeing's bottom line.

Boeing has very powerful friends in Washington, and it’s an election year.

I’m damned sure that the actual engineering effort is very much within their engineers‘ capability.

What is less clear is the task of rectifying the paperwork and verifying that each successive upgrade of the same basic (50+ yr old) design did not in any way compromise earlier work. It’s my understanding that this is the bit that the FAA are demanding before recertifying the Max. It’s a bit worrying though that say the -900 doesn’t seem to be affected, when it would have substantially similar certification exposure to the Max.

It’s a similar issue to the UK Chinook Mk3 debacle and to some extent the Nimrod Mk4. If you can’t PROVE it is safe, then it is not safe.
My statement was made based on extensive first hand experience of the deficiencies in US Engineering both heavy and software.

Profit comes first, timescale a long way behind and quality is optional. Unbelievable approach when dealing with safety critical systems.

YM

My statement was made based on extensive first hand experience of the deficiencies in US Engineering both heavy and software.

Profit comes first, timescale a long way behind and quality is optional. Unbelievable approach when dealing with safety critical systems.

YM
I was responding to your assertion that the Boeing engineers perhaps weren’t up to the task of rectification. While there are certainly many deficiencies for Boeing to address, basic competency, as in “can we fix the actual software problem” is probably one of the easier issues, and should not be in question. It seems a non-Max 737 is more likely to be shot down, flown into the ground or bombed, than fall out of the sky due to an engineering failure.

Providing a paper trail for the last 50 years to prove that however might be a bit more difficult.

Latest Threads