Not a good week for Boeing

This is no-news and fake if you read what the POTUS says.

But in real terms sooner or later the 737 Max program will be dead & to costly to redeem itself from.
Boeing will bounce back with new planes, but the computer error needs to be fixed and seen to be fixed.

For a pilot to be unable to recover the the nose pitching down is serious and with no over ride its dangerous.
Most pilots will run checks when it occurs, when you can not get the response you want your in trouble.

Hence planes crash!

Initial accident report published:

http://www.ecaa.gov.et/documents/20435/0/Preliminary+Report+B737-800MAX+,(ET-AVJ).pdf/4c65422d-5e4f-4689-9c58-d7af1ee17f3e

Bottom line, crew did as trained. The bulletin from Boeing at the end of the document makes my blood run cold.
How so? It is noted as evidence that Boeing updated and/or re-enforced protocols for this particular failure after the Lion crash and less than 2 weeks before this one, which means the possibility of this type of failure was acknowledged and should have been fresh in the minds of everyone concerned.

The really scary part of the report is that the data recorders do not apparently record the actions of turning off both cutout switches, but the report does note:

At 05:40:35, the First-Officer called out “stab trim cut-out” two times. Captain agreed and FirstOfficer confirmed stab trim cut-out.

At 05:40:41, approximately five seconds after the end of the ANU stabilizer motion, a third instance of AND automatic trim command occurred without any corresponding motion of the stabilizer, which is consistent with the stabilizer trim cutout switches were in the ‘’cutout’’ position.
Which was followed a page later with:

At 05:43:11, about 32 seconds before the end of the recording, at approximately 13,4002 ft, two momentary manual electric trim inputs are recorded in the ANU direction. The stabilizer moved in
the ANU direction from 2.1 units to 2.3 units.

At 05:43:20, approximately five seconds after the last manual electric trim input, an AND automatic trim command occurred and the stabilizer moved in the AND direction from 2.3 to 1.0 unit in
approximately 5 seconds. The aircraft began pitching nose down. Additional simultaneous aft column force was applied, but the nose down pitch continues, eventually reaching 40° nose down. The stabilizer position varied between 1.1 and 0.8 units for the remainder of the recording.
This being consistent with the stab trim cutout switches being reset to automatic operation in contravention of established protocols. Rather difficult to accidently move the blocking plate out of the way then accidently throw both switches back up...

Meaning, Crew did not do as trained.

Of course since switch positions and signal (or lack of) is not captured, simply reading what is recorded as consistent with strange behaviour on the part of the co-pilot is not the only option. It also leaves the highly improbable second possibility that the control program gained sentience and decided on it's own to reprogram itself to disregard the cutout switches, which it had previously yielded control to, in order to commit suicide.

I think you’ve cut and pasted my post from the original Ethiopian Crash thread. I’ve posted a response there?

I started this thread as a distinct one to that as it relates to a separate matter.

That's nothing. Airbus wing production in Broughton was plagued for years by a phantom shitter (allegedly). He (or she) would leave turds in the awkward, hard-to-spot spaces of the wings before final fit-out. Despite the management appointing a shit-finder task force, there are probably a lot of Airbus models still flying Broughton turds through the skies today.

I have had to hoover out hundreds of rivet stubs and other sheet metal worker's waste from aircraft in for a C-Check. It was common to find drill bits, small offcuts, the odd screwdriver or spanner and things dropped by the cabin fitters that ended up in the bowels of the aircraft. Inspectors werent doing their job and the bashers hated being called out to tidy up their mess.

Cold_Collation

LE
Book Reviewer
I have had to hoover out hundreds of rivet stubs and other sheet metal worker's waste from aircraft in for a C-Check. It was common to find drill bits, small offcuts, the odd screwdriver or spanner and things dropped by the cabin fitters that ended up in the bowels of the aircraft. Inspectors werent doing their job and the bashers hated being called out to tidy up their mess.
Very common to find in WWII military aircraft, too - as restorers often discover.

Yet further reputational bad news for Boeing with another safety incident. No reporting on whether GE or RR engine involved.

'Plane debris rained down “like bullets” when metal fragments fell off a Boeing 787 Dreamliner shortly after take-off in Rome. People living under the aircraft’s flight path were pounded by hundreds of eight-inch chunks as the Norwegian jet departed the city’s Leonardo da Vinci–Fiumicino Airport on Saturday.

'An air investigation has now been launched into the incident, which saw the plane abandon its planned flight to Los Angeles and instead, after circling twice over the Tyrrhenian Sea, return to Rome. It is thought the debris fell from the plane’s left engine – although the extent of the problems or how at risk the 298 passengers on board were has not yet been disclosed.'