Nostalgia aint what it used to be!

Discussion in 'The NAAFI Bar' started by old_fat_and_hairy, Jun 11, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. old_fat_and_hairy

old_fat_and_hairy LE Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

This may have been done before, but frankly I don't know. I was in the 'NAAFI' shop today (actually a bloody Spar shop) and was hit by a wave of nostalgia. It's usually nausea, but today was different.
    Do any of you more mature serving and ex serrving have happy memories of Naafi shops of yore? Or, what do you miss from your past, in any form?

From my past, I miss my mind and sex life. From NAAFi shop, silly things such as 'training pamphlets', Commando comics, and those sort of things.
    J.T.Edson books, Sven Hassel books and a certain sort of cornish pasty that was guaranteed to clear a hangover.

2. Oddly, I miss the smell of an armoury. Strange, I know, but there it is.

Bratty and chips and those Schell Imbiss kebabs with garlic sauce.

Waking up in the morning knowing I was going to a job I enjoyed with people who shared the same 'get-it-done' attitude and weren't working with one eye constantly glued to the clock.

And, of course, the smell of napalm in the morning. Nothing in the world smells like that.

3. old_fat_and_hairy

In my barracks, t'was the smell of feet in the morning!

Napalm would have been much nicer.

4. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Oh armoury smells, you just can't beat them.

5. A cheese and onion sandwich at NAAFI break and a steaming hot cup of tea.

6. old_fat_and_hairy

The NAAFi at Trenchard Bks in Celle used to do a peculiar orange squash, with a bizarre taste to it, but that went down well with cheese and onion sandwiches..

7. On a run back in to Airport camp, hanging out of your arse to be welcomed to a lung full of the swamp. Same smell as your sh!t in the morning after drinking 'Belikin belly' beer.

8. I miss being a young fit girl, being a firefighter I used to climb into small spaces to fight flames, well actually my mates used to stick me in the holes to do the job.. :oops: but alas now I'd bung those holes up :cry:

9. old_fat_and_hairy

I miss climbing into small spaces too! But probably for very different reasons. I was never a fit young girl.

10. I miss being able to fit a half pint glass through the grille and under the beer tap in the naafi bar when they closed after "liquid lunches".

11. old_fat_and_hairy

Yes, me too. And I miss being canteen cowboy on a New Years Eve, when entire Bn confined to camp, and I was ordered to close NAAFI bar at 10pm! Was good practice for future tours in NI.

12. The peculiar taste of guardroom tea and sleeping in your best BD.

13. old_fat_and_hairy

That stuff they used to put in tea to stop one getting an erection has started working now.

14. Nestea out of a compo pack, brewed in a mess tin, and infused with the smell/taste of hexy. Unspeakable under any other circumstance, but pure heaven on a freezing morning in the middle of Soltau.

Oh, and sweetened with some of that fantastic condensed milk in a tube. Great in it's own right for keeping you going on ambushes..........or spread on an oatmeal block.

Who said field rations have improved?

15. GARIBOLDI BISCUITS IN THE GS RAT PACK (THE SOFT ONES NOT THE CRAPPY BISCUITS FRUIT IN THE NEW REA PACK)
    ON A DIFFRENT POINT , REMEMBER THE TWO MAN RAT PACKS, WITH THE CIVVY BRANDS IN IT.