Norwegian navy discover British World War II destroyer

Mr Happy

LE
I read this http://www.expatica.com/de/articles...iscover-British-World-War-II-destroyer--.html

Oslo -- A team from the Norwegian navy have located a British destroyer that sank during World War II off the northern port of Narvik, the navy said.

HMS Hunter was one of several vessels that went down during the April 10, 1940 battle of Narvik, a strategic port used to ship iron ore from Sweden to Germany.

The wreck was discovered at a depth of 305 meters below the sea surface on the bottom of the Ofotfjord, the navy said.

In all 95 of the 145-strong crew died when the HMS Hunter went down after sustaining severe damage from German gunfire and colliding with its sister vessel HMS Hotspur. German forces picked up the 50 survivors.

HMS Hunter was discovered by the Norwegian vessel KNM Tyr that for some weeks has conducted winter maneuvers in the fjord, including testing a new echo sounder.

"We searched the area where HMS Hunter most likely was located and found it after 14 hours," navy lieutenant Tom Thorgrimsen, commander of the KNM Tyr, said.

After detecting the wreck, the crew used a remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) to establish the identity of the HMS Hunter by taking photos of the vessel's crest.

The location would be considered a war graveNorwegian navy discover British World War II destroyer

I read this http://www.expatica.com/de/articles...iscover-British-World-War-II-destroyer--.html

Oslo -- A team from the Norwegian navy have located a British destroyer that sank during World War II off the northern port of Narvik, the navy said.

HMS Hunter was one of several vessels that went down during the April 10, 1940 battle of Narvik, a strategic port used to ship iron ore from Sweden to Germany.

The wreck was discovered at a depth of 305 meters below the sea surface on the bottom of the Ofotfjord, the navy said.

In all 95 of the 145-strong crew died when the HMS Hunter went down after sustaining severe damage from German gunfire and colliding with its sister vessel HMS Hotspur. German forces picked up the 50 survivors.

HMS Hunter was discovered by the Norwegian vessel KNM Tyr that for some weeks has conducted winter maneuvers in the fjord, including testing a new echo sounder.

"We searched the area where HMS Hunter most likely was located and found it after 14 hours," navy lieutenant Tom Thorgrimsen, commander of the KNM Tyr, said.

After detecting the wreck, the crew used a remotely operated underwater vehicle (ROV) to establish the identity of the HMS Hunter by taking photos of the vessel's crest.

The location would be considered a war grave and a memorial ceremony was due later this week with the British navy.
and

wondered why I'd never head of that battle before, so wiki'd here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narvik

Quite interesting, a lesson about having an AIM in here and good news for the RN (generally). You can tell why the Germans feared the RN and chose not to invade the UK too. and a memorial ceremony was due later this week with the British navy.
and

wondered why I'd never head of that battle before, so wiki'd here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_of_Narvik

Quite interesting, a lesson about having an AIM in here and good news for the RN (generally). You can tell why the Germans feared the RN and chose not to invade the UK too.

oldbaldy

LE
A survivor's story:
On the morning of 10 April 1940, 110 people on board HMS Hunter died when the Royal Navy ship was sunk by German forces during World War II's first Battle of Narvik, in Norway.

John Hague, now 87, but then a 19-year-old able seaman, was one of just 35 survivors.

"It was early morning, around four-thirty or five o'clock and I was down, below deck, in the ammunition room feeding munitions from the shell room to the gun room," he said.

He and the other men on duty felt "a jolt" and realised HMS Hunter had been hit, but they did not know the extent of that damage.

He recalled there was no evacuation siren, no orders to abandon ship.

Climbing the steps to the outside world, the men were struck by the chilling winds of the blizzard and an eerie absence of people.

I tried not to think about the cold and I tried to keep moving to keep warm

"The first we knew it was bad was when we started to tilt, we went up to the deck and saw that there was no-one around - those that could leave had gone," said Mr Hague.

When asked what it was like, he retorted: "What's it like being in a freezer? It was very icy and the blizzard was blowing and we knew we had no choice but to get off the ship.

"I don't know how long I was in the water, I tried not to think about the cold and I tried to keep moving to keep warm and to stay afloat," he said.

As the men trod water, a ship appeared and a rope ladder was thrown over its side.

Shivering and drenched in a mix of seawater and oil, the men scaled the ladder and clambered aboard the vessel.

"As soon as we got on board, they scrubbed the oil off us and gave us what clothes they could find for us to wear," Mr Hague said.

"They [the Germans] were alright and I didn't have time to be frightened, it was all happening so quickly."

They were taken to Narvik and transferred to a German ship where they signed an agreement promising that when they returned to Britain they would not fight the Germans.

"We had to sign a declaration saying we wouldn't take up arms against them.

"That really upset me because of course I wanted to go back."

Mr Hague and the other HMS Hunter prisoners spent two days in the hands of the Germans before they were handed over to the Swedish authorities and interned.

He spent his time making bricks and learning the odd Swedish word, he said.

In December 1941 his chance to go home came when he volunteered to be part of a skeleton crew on a decoy ship which sailing from Sweden to Scotland.

"It was a moonless night in December, we got the signal to move and we left."

In December 1944 Able Seaman Hague was awarded a British Empire Medal for his role aboard the decoy ship.

Unable to return to the navy - because of his declaration not to fight the Germans - he joined Ford where he worked as an engineer checking aeroplane engines.

"It's great that they've found the Hunter and now we know where they are, my fellow shipmates have a resting place."

As wreaths are laid at the spot where HMS Hunter was discovered, Mr Hague will reflect on the events of April 1940.

"I'm sorry I can't be there, but I'll have a quiet moment with my family to remember," he said.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/7283819.stm

chrisg46

LE
Book Reviewer
Was this declaration thing common? How coem they werent just shipped off to a POW camp?

Mr Happy

LE
I've heard of them before, sounds terribly decent for both sides to respect it. I might add that I think Adolf was still hoping that the UK wouldn't pursue the war as it did. Total War was not a factor until much later.

Fm TA 100 site

16 April 1940 146 Brigade from 49th (West Riding) Division lands at Namsos in Norway
18 April 1940 148 Brigade lands at Aandalsnes in Norway

Outstanding said:
Were the York & Lancasters involved in this Op?
Yes but I'm not sure if they wore if the wore the Hallamshire Rifles badge or the Yorks and Lancs (like its sister Bn in 46 (North Midland) Div. 6th I can check with some ex-hallams if needed.

146th Infantry Brigade

(1939-1945)

o 4th Battalion The Lincolnshire Regiment
o 1/4th Battalion Kings Own Yorkshire Light Infantry
o The Hallamshire Battalion The York and Lancaster Regiment

148th Infantry Brigade

(1939-Apr 1940)

o 1/5th Battalion The Leicestershire Regiment
o 1/5th Battalion The Sherwood Foresters
o 8th Battalion Sherwood Foresters
o 2nd Battalion The South Wales Borderers