Norwegian army diamond shaped roof thing?

About 2m wide, 3m long diamond shaped canvas roof thing, with buttons along two sides for the purpose of joining to others, a snow hole roof.

What was it called?

Was it norge kit, or am I thingy?

impossible to remove from each other once joined, slept under and frozen together.

tent sheet, not just noggie...specifically designed to soak up frost/ice/water and weigh a ton, bloody awful button system designed not to work at any temperature therefore resulting in section sprog carrying most of it despite complete inability to move on skis...great piece of kit

A piece of crap might be the best answer, not exactly one of the Armys finest ideas.

I had flashbacks when I read PRT mention carrying 140lbs, I seem to remember carrying the diamonds and the cam net on one occasion, I thought, that'll be a good workout.

workout? yes...good? no
Beauty of the damn thing was it was only realistic to break it in two parts for a section, didnt matter whether you got the 3 or 4 or even the camnet, it would barely fit under the flap of a bergan (or frame carrier if you were really new) and led to endless face-planting. Only enhanced by being given the gun as well just for a special treat.
Last seen in service around 1990 give or take a mooses milk or two

scarletto said:
A piece of crap might be the best answer, not exactly one of the Armys finest ideas.
You know how much I hate to agree with anything you say? In this instance, you are spot on.

<fx books counselling>

I

In_my_day

scarletto said:
A piece of crap might be the best answer, not exactly one of the Norwegian Armys finest ideas.
Hours of fun carrying them uphill and down dale. The 5-man tentsheet was the best as it was hardly worth splitting it so you got the full effect!!

IMD

It was originally a German idea, the zeltbahn.

PE4rocks said:
scarletto said:
You know how much I hate to agree with anything you say? In this instance, you are spot on.

<fx books counselling>
8O No emotives available for falling off a chair i think :D

sandmanfez said:
It was originally a German idea, the zeltbahn.
Didn't know that. Ta.

Yes, it was a Norgie bit of kit as was quite a bit of M & AW stores (skis, pulk, norgie shirts etc.)

The German zeltbahn though was triangular and lighter.

Any of you remember the big round norgie 16 man tents with wood stove and chimney as the center pole? They were also of German origin.

In fact the Norgies made widespread use of ex-Wehrmacht kit postwar. Although almost all gone by now, the odd eagle and swas stamped item can still be found on stores shelves.

Bollock-chops said:
About 2m wide, 3m long diamond shaped canvas roof thing, with buttons along two sides for the purpose of joining to others, a snow hole roof.

What was it called?

Was it norge kit, or am I thingy?

impossible to remove from each other once joined, slept under and frozen together.
Aaaah! Whiteshod training, WD 86 AWT. Oh how I chuckled to myself as the ski-biffs were monging it all over Dombas plateau. Yeah, you should have all been learning to ski like me in 4 Div, he he he.

"Oi, Blunts, you can ski, you've got the tent-sheet, the 320 and when you're not on the pulk you can trail-break!" B*stard.

We took a sprog to lillehammer and went down a fierce route, I cannot remember what grade it was, but it was steep and icy, anything less than a parallel stop and you are not going to stop, we all paralleled for about 100 yards, sprog hit the catchfence doing around 40mph doing the British Army's finest snowplough stop.

The locals waiting at the lift applauded us when they realised he hadnt died.

Bollock-chops said:
We took a sprog to lillehammer and went down a fierce route, I cannot remember what grade it was, but it was steep and icy, anything less than a parallel stop and you are not going to stop, we all paralleled for about 100 yards, sprog hit the catchfence doing around 40mph doing the British Army's finest snowplough stop.

The locals waiting at the lift applauded us when they realised he hadnt died.
Good friend of mine took the emergency stop option instead of crashing into the Dombas ski-lift queue, unfortunately, inside the snowbank was a several fence-posts and connecting strands of wire.

We felt dreadful the next day (for being unable to help, for laughing), but not as bad as Jarra.

Scuse spelling. Ski-ied near Lillehammer, at some holiday village , Sjusjoen? Used to get down to Lillehammer for a costly beer once a week, during 4 Div ski team training 1983/84.

Dombas was a bit further north. For my last few winters stayed at Isfjorden, just up the road from Andalsnes (29 Cdo's camp). Did training at those locations before going north for Cold Winter. Dombas was a brilliant training base, for novice and continuation courses and we got to live in a hotel for 3-4 months. Them were the days.

Edited to add, 2 other ski slopes we used were Bjorli and Oppdal. The first for training areas and both for leisure ski-ing, though Oppdal was a bit of a drive away.

The main downhill ski slopes by Lillehammer are at Hafjell. 3 Cdo Bde HQ & Sigs used to stay there. OR's being at Hunderfossen holiday village. SNCOS had one hotel down by the bottom of the slopes and officers one further up.

Further up the valley by Ringebu is Kvitfjell, the 94' olympics downhill slopes and it's f**ing vertical.

Never did try the civvy slopes at Dombås but know Hjerkinn all too well. Makes any UK training area look like a tropical paradise.

Oppdal's great. Had a brilliant long weekend there 20 years ago.

Ironically, in the 12 years i've now lived in Norway i've only been downhilling once. I only do cross country these days and the year's first snow is falling as i speak.

Hunderfossen, the training room was near the big troll iirc

Wasn't it on one side of a dam, the whole complex. I do remember the marines table jumping, the RSM banned ordering wine by the bottle, the very next night, 18 glasses of white wine please, theres only two of you, I know, he hasnt decided what he wants yet.

BC learns what clear lower decks means, the hard way, scrubbing fukcing pans for a week.

bluntslane said:
Scuse spelling. Ski-ied near Lillehammer, at some holiday village , Sjusjoen? Used to get down to Lillehammer for a costly beer once a week, during 4 Div ski team training 1983/84.

Dombas was a bit further north. For my last few winters stayed at Isfjorden, just up the road from Andalsnes (29 Cdo's camp). Did training at those locations before going north for Cold Winter. Dombas was a brilliant training base, for novice and continuation courses and we got to live in a hotel for 3-4 months. Them were the days.

Edited to add, 2 other ski slopes we used were Bjorli and Oppdal. The first for training areas and both for leisure ski-ing, though Oppdal was a bit of a drive away.
IIRC we were based there at a hotel, and had some great skiing roundthere, and also robbing the kitchen. Oh and breaking a Norges Jaw at the Disco. Ha get me for that RMP :)

I was duty driver one night, a lwb landrover full of pished up squaddies who ended the night at a nightclub with fistycuffs, norges playing slaps, squaddies playing knuckles, blood snot and tears everywhere, oh happy days.