Norway

Discussion in 'AGC, RAPTC and SASC' started by Ex-Minden, Jun 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Anyone been posted here? Any advice, other than the beer cost a arm and a leg!

2. I live in Norway - so can't tell you what its like to be posted here - but know a lot about living here. (The taxes make your eyes water)

3. I was thinking about selling my car here and buying a cheap ish one there. What's the prices like? I should be going to Stavanger, what's your thoughts on the area?

4. Cars are twice the price here. Buying a new one costs roughly whatever it costs in England, plus the same amount again as tax - in other words twice as much as England. This means that second-hand cars here are also very expensive compared to England.

Best to bring your car over here (even though the steering wheel is on the wrong side). You would then be better off selling it in Norway when you leave - and then buy something better in England for the same price.

Stavanger is an oil town on the West Coast, and as such is reasonably wealthy. The scenery (fjords and mountains) up the West Coast is stunning. However, it rains a lot on the West Coast, so be prepared for that.

5. H3

H3 LE

Cheap .... Did you say cheap ..... I work out of Stavanger but live in the UK , think you'll have a heart attack regards the cost of a cheap car !
    As for Stavanger it's a great place ... Taxis are expensive but there's a very well established bus service ... Which is cheap !
    Weathers a bit crap on times it's either raining or snowing ..... With occasional sunny outbursts .... Similar to Scotland I suppose !
    Isn't there a e bay Norway to give you an idea of the cost of a motor !!!

6. Would there be a market to sell a right hand car over there?

I need something for me and my family for two years, if I budget 2000 will I get something to meet my needs?

7. H3

H3 LE

Not so sure about that figure ..... sorry can't help you with that !

8. £2000 is approx 20000 kroner - that won't buy you anything at all I'm afraid.

What the market is for a car with RHD I don't know, but your best bet is to bring it over rather than buying one here in Norway. Even if you have to take it back again to England at the end of 2 years it is still the best bet. Don't even think about buying a car in Norway if you're only going to be here for 2 years

9. H3

H3 LE

10. H3

H3 LE

On my way home from Norway today and regards your thoughts of buying a car locally .... Don't bother as a 4 yr old peugot 307 here is £19,000 .......mates just bought it , No it's not a typo , basically £2000 will get you a car which is 10 years plus old !!!!

11. Yea thanks. I have decided to drive over now that's a beast it's self!