Norton Motorcycles being wound up.

As many business related threads have noted, cash is the lifeblood of any business, and hemmorage results in shock and eventually death. When the human body is in that situation it responds by shutting down processes not needed for immediate survival and making sure blood gets to the vital organs.

Why do businesses at risk not do the same?
Ask the directors, it's their responsibility!

skid2

LE
Book Reviewer
Racewise, the problem was no one could agree on the cubic capacity of the toroidal? engine. Whatever it was, it was a helluva sight on full chat, glowing red..
One of the best races ever seen. Joey on the Honda and brother Robert on the Norton at the UGP. Swapping position all the way through, an awesome ride for Robert. It was after that there were questions asked as to Nortons actual capacity.

Just read this article myself, anyone with an interest in our motorcycle industry should read this. It turns out Garner is a prize one con artist. He then conned a family friend and his business partner out of Spondon Frames.
That’s just to start with!!!

Positive thread bump.

Norton's new owner TVS Motor Company pledge to invest & relocate into a larger factory.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It’s just been announced that Stuart Garner has been ordered to pay back the money he swindled out of the pension schemes, to the tune of...
£14 Million!
That has just got to hurt! Fcuking good job!!

Nornironman

Old-Salt
Positive thread bump.

Norton's new owner TVS Motor Company pledge to invest & relocate into a larger factory.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
Where they are is amazing. It's the old British Midland HQ in Castle Donnington. It's a beautiful stately home, and completely unsuited to manufacturing. Most of it lies empty, it's big enough alright but empty office space is not suitable for the shop floor. I went for a job there as ops manager, and the mentality was amazing. I had to walk away. They insisted they wanted more efficient production to grow. So introducing standardised processes, budget standard times, cellular working and even an ERP system were said to be a non starter because of "motorbike" culture and every rider wanting to know his bike was handmade by an individual rather than a process. That they will have to change to survive.

2000AD

Old-Salt
With Triumph making redundancies esp in Design department, they may just end up with a purpose built good to go design team from the off!

Mary Hinge

War Hero
I was born in a Birmingham back street. The road behind me was Bracebridge Street where the original Norton 'factory' started. Some of you may be interested in these photographs...

Look carefully, you'll notice that the riders motorcycles have bricks under them for the photograph.

Norton Motorcycle photo call.jpg

George Formby visited the Norton factory

Norton_1.jpg

4(T)

LE
Just read this article myself, anyone with an interest in our motorcycle industry should read this. It turns out Garner is a prize one con artist. He then conned a family friend and his business partner out of Spondon Frames.
That’s just to start with!!!

What is astonishing and depressing is that individuals and organisations failed so badly in their due diligence - particularly where there was an existing body of rumour circulating.

I have some background of working in Russia. Many of the things mentioned in the articles are classic red flags, indicators of organised fraud (e.g. creating entities/ companies with names that closely mimic other (often target) company names). Even in a UK business environment, many of the stated events should have sparked immediate bank or shareholder inquiry.

Good luck finding that £14m....

I was born in a Birmingham back street. The road behind me was Bracebridge Street where the original Norton 'factory' started. Some of you may be interested in these photographs...

Look carefully, you'll notice that the riders motorcycles have bricks under them for the photograph.

View attachment 484836

View attachment 484837
The office buildings still exist, you can see where the brass plate was stolen from.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer

View attachment 484836

View attachment 484837
That Particular motorcycle still exists
It is in the National Motorcycle Museum

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I didn't know that, I'll have to visit the museum when things return to 'normal'.
I went to Blackpool some years ago (don't ask) took the wife and kids to see the george Formby museum, that little bugger Micheal Jackson had bought it all and it was being crated up for export

Bluenose2

Old-Salt
With Triumph making redundancies esp in Design department, they may just end up with a purpose built good to go design team from the off!
My next door neighbour included. He spoke to a contact at Royal Enfield when it all brewed up, who said he was already sitting on dozens of CVs from redundant motor industry designers from JLR, Mclaren etc.

Tough times for the motor industry.

Mary Hinge

War Hero
I went to Blackpool some years ago (don't ask) took the wife and kids to see the george Formby museum, that little bugger Micheal Jackson had bought it all and it was being crated up for export
I was interested in your post so I thought I'd do a bit of investigating about the Formby Norton. What I've found cheered me up and might be of interest to you...

The BBC Antiques Road Trip programme was broadcast in January 2018.

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I was interested in your post so I thought I'd do a bit of investigating about the Formby Norton. What I've found cheered me up and might be of interest to you...

The BBC Antiques Road Trip programme was broadcast in January 2018.
I think its rather nice that the subsequent owner have cared for it and retained its origional registration, I hate seeing classic bikes and cars stripped of their plate, simply to make some awful range rover look younger or more vulgar
When the idea of the museum was first mooted, to raise money you could buy a brick, and name it, I bought one for my nephews their names are up there forever
it was built on the site of the old transport cafe where the testers used to meet