Norton Motorcycles being wound up.

Just on the local news that Norton Motorcycles in now being officially wound up with the loss of 40 jobs with the firm. The effects on the supply chain unknown at this time.ETA

Last edited:

slick

LE
A great shame, virtually handbuilt. That bloke Henry Cole did an interesting programme on the marque with a good look around their production facilities.

That's sad - such an iconic name. Hopefully, someone else will buy the brand keep it going. I was watching a logistics docu the other day and a lot of consisted of Norton parts being shipped to the U.S.

2000AD

Old-Salt
To be honest, not surprised. I know a few people who worked there. To say the business model may have been allegedly a bit suspect, I have been expecting this news for a while.

Arte_et_Marte

ADC
One of my all time favourite brands. My 1st bike was an SS650 cafe racer back in 1976. Before that I was keen on big bikes, but after that I've been hooked for 44 years.

The retro Commandos are ace obviously (a girlfriend rides one,) but I'd love an Atlas. They're gonna be like hens teeth now.

I hope it was a poor market and not shabby administration. Such a shame.

Be interesting to see if Triumph will take them over etc. Then all they have to do is relaunch Villers and we could be back to the good old 1970's days of 'NVT' or perhaps not.

The retro Commandos are ace obviously (a girlfriend rides one,) but I'd love an Atlas. They're gonna be like hens teeth now.

A girlfriend? That’s just showing off!

2000AD

Old-Salt
When the director is trying to fund it through crowdfunding, and then a miraculous mystery investor pops up, you cannot be anything but suspicious of how things are being run financially.
I don't have any sympathy for the directors of such an enterprise but I do for the general staff and also for the loads of customers for whom there will probably be no return of deposits on un built bikes, or for those with existing bikes no further aftersales support, unpaid suppliers down the supply chain etc and all the other people who will be very much inconvenienced to say the least, in the usual fall out to come from it.

4(T)

LE
How many times have Norton been wound up now?

I honestly didn't know they were back from the dead again; I assumed they'd just become another Chinese brand name.

I've heard it referred to as 'the curse of Norton'. It seems that they can make some incredibly good bikes under several different incarnations yet always go bust.
Great shame, it would be a bit of a dream for a bigger and more stable business model such as Triumph to buy them out and keep them going/honour their customers orders.

No doubt they will go under after an unworkable CVA then miraculously start afresh after someone buys the name and design rights for a pittance,

There was another Norton centric twitter account that was dealing with the quality issues with the engines. Made in China, leaks, seizures,warped heads, multiple valve failures.

Questions about the pension fund.

When Bloor started Triumph he had the money in place to carry it through, Garner seems to have been winging it from the start.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
That is peanuts in this day and age. Shame.
True, football clubs get away with murder when it comes to paying taxes.

This should be put in the Dead Pool:-(

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
One of my all time favourite brands. My 1st bike was an SS650 cafe racer back in 1976. Before that I was keen on big bikes, but after that I've been hooked for 44 years.

Girl friends rides a commando, Hmm, Do you want us to pay a visit to him? I’ll hold the coats.