Norton Anti-Virus.

I've had to resort to my full screen crappy old lappy whilst the lovely pink one (fully un-virused up x 2) is getting fixed.

For some reason, I've got Norton Anti-Virus installed on this one, and I can't get rid of the bastard thing. I keep getting "prompts" about every 3 minutes telling me that I have to upgrade or they will come round and kill the dog and burn my house down.

How do I get rid of it? I tried googling Norton Anti-Virus Remover and clicked on the links and stuff, but it just laughed at me and froze everything and told me that "Microsoft Explorer thinks this link is a ****** and if you don't give it money it will kill your grandparents" then it closed all my windows down.

A t-shirt of my dog having a shit to anyone who can help.

Thanking you tar.

Lady Dale of Snailsville.

Ring Graham and ask him!

Norton is a pain in the arse to remove. What OS are you running and I can get you through it

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
wont let you remove through control panel/add&remove programs then?

Had the same drama with norton didn't update just slowed everything down while it fucked about pretending to scan the files.
I eventually just uninstalled it and installed AVG for free.
Just goto your install/uninstall and select norton then uninstall the crap thing.

My AV recommendations are
Free - Malwarebytes Antimalware
Paid - Eset Nod32

AVG is more bloated by the release and actually slows down computers almost as much as Norton these days. Norton is, and always has been a massive pain in the arse to fully remove (even when you think it's gone, it's still lingering enough to slow down any other AV solution installed.

Norton is a pain in the arse to remove. What OS are you running and I can get you through it
You just want to talk filthy to me. Unfortunately, Maguire is the lucky chap tonight. Get your phone ready sexy x

You just want to talk filthy to me. Unfortunately, Maguire is the lucky chap tonight. Get your phone ready sexy x
Mud, Dirt & Manure. That's about the limits of my dirty talk. And I wasn't proposing a phone call, just the posting of some steps for you to follow. )

Download "Crap Cleaner" from this link: CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download - its FREE
Install it - run programme - click on "Tools" - new window appears, select "Norton Anti-Virus" then hit "Run Uninstaller" - let it do its work.
Next click on "registry" then "scan for issues" - let it scan - then click on "fix selected issues". DO NOT back up registry. When it says fix all issues click that button - Norton is gone forever!!

Please send T-shirt of dog having a shit

Totally agree with MSE, sits there, does its job and doesn't interfere unless it has to.

Uninstalling Norton using windows or norton will not work, it sits in the registry...the thing is a ******* virus itself.

CC cleaner as posted above is good, especially if its the registry cleaning version.

Download "Crap Cleaner" from this link: CCleaner - Optimization and Cleaning - Free Download - its FREE
Install it - run programme - click on "Tools" - new window appears, select "Norton Anti-Virus" then hit "Run Uninstaller" - let it do its work.
Next click on "registry" then "scan for issues" - let it scan - then click on "fix selected issues". DO NOT back up registry. When it says fix all issues click that button - Norton is gone forever!!

If this works, oh lovely lady, you will need to PM me your address. This is the last t-shirt of the like: Don't hassle the huff.

Oh yeah baby, you win.

No stupidness on my craptop for a whole half an hour.

Norton were not going kicking and screaming though, I had to re-start the bloody thing 3 times but hey, it works.

Please send me via PM your address and I will send you the last and only t-shirt and I will cough for it on Hols4heroes.

You dancer.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
hmm, nothing about the half hour on the phone to me or the pm's sent then... :(

Oh yeah baby, you win.

No stupidness on my craptop for a whole half an hour.

Norton were not going kicking and screaming though, I had to re-start the bloody thing 3 times but hey, it works.

Please send me via PM your address and I will send you the last and only t-shirt and I will cough for it on Hols4heroes.

You dancer.
So pleased!!

Now follow these instruction to clear the last remnants of "Norton".

Go to "My Computer", click on "C Drive" then click "Program Files". Select in directory "Norton whatever it is called" and DELETE it (that folder is the last remnants of Norton). Once you have done that re-run "Crap Cleaner - registry" and any issues found should be "Fixed" as previously instructed. Then restart computer and repeat the "Crap Cleaner" action. Norton will never bother you again.

Apologises should have told you a reboot was needed.

Will PM you tomorrow.

As posted above, use the Norton download tool, then look in your registry and delete everything Norton.

or Avira or Avast. MSE is probably the only bit of software MS has ever got right - its days are therefore numbered.

Dont touch anything from Norton, Symantec, or PC Tools: worse than having a bloody virus.

Forget AVG, once was the best but is now bloatware. Worthwhile installing ccleaner and leaving it there, and then once or twice a month running the analyse and cleanup. Once that has done, clean the registry, and then run Defraggler (also from piriform). Spybot and Search&Destroy are old favourites for once-a-month cleanups.

However, possibly the best solution is to nuke the drive and re-install windows (preferably with a slipstreamed disk that has the various service pack(s) and hotfixes slipstreamed in, and with some utils such as Avira, ccleaner etc preinstalled, and system restore disabled). When reinstalling Windows, rather than create one large partition, create two - the first for Windows and programs, the second for data. Install windows and the main software you use (Office, for example). To be really safe, use a disk imager to backup this installed system.

Then, if you ever get a nasty again, instead of trying to clean it, you can use the "only way to be sure" approach, either nuking and restoring from the disk image, or from the OS disk. BUT, the real beauty is all your data is still relatively safe on another partition.

Nuke system restore as nasties have been known to "hide" in system restore files...