Northumbria Police 4 x Air Observers

Discussion in 'Aviation' started by Biscuits_AB, Jul 22, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Google 'allpolicejobs' and click on Northumbria Police. They are looking for 4 x Air Observers, 1 years training, no resits on failed exams and you have to sign up as a Community Support Officer. It's only in the region of £20k, but looks to have a lot of job satisfaction. Might not be to everyones 'finacial' expectations, but if you're a Tom and you've had enough and you know a bit about helicopters, it's a pretty decent job I suppose.
  2. Cow

Cow LE

Another place they're cutting Police Officers from? West Mids are in the final process of taking on another observer, their training is 6 weeks?
  3. Yes, the 'initial observer course will be six weeks (or thereabouts), but it doesn't mean they will be proficient in that time!
  4. Its not necessarily a bad thing that they are cutting police officers from that role when it can be done perfectly well by others.

The cost saving of 4 observers over police officers may equate to 1 or 2 extra officers on the streets were they are needed.
  5. Dingerr. I'm afraid I'd have to disagree with you there. (Not that that means anything).
    If you think that a police observer is just a glorified CCTV operator then you would be correct. However, in practice the officers are carrying out operational police work (even though it is in the air) and in a lot of cases 'punching' well above their weight (response to major civil disorder for example)!

A final considertion (which will count for nothing as far as the hierarchy is concerned) is the trust that officers on the ground have, knowing that the colleague directing his movements from the air has 'been there'. 8)
  6. There were a fair few jobs going in the midlands about 3 - 4 years ago.

All for non-Police Officer types.